Posted to alt.home.repair
JJ JJ is offline

Default Second homes. Thoughts?

Many thanks for the useful advise.
Did check with my home insurer and no problem leaving it vacant for months.
Also, did find the idea of a webcam to monitor the house very interesting.
I'll have to research that.

From: "DK"
Subject: Second homes. Thoughts?
Date: Monday, December 11, 2006 1:43 PM

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:53:57 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

This is kinda home repair related.

I'm retiring soon and my wife and I are thinking about becoming snowbirds
in
Nevada to escape these dreadful Wisconsin winters.

I've given a lot of thought to owning two homes and the details that need
be taken care of such as snow plowing, shoveling, mail, junk mail,
security,
plant watering, trusted neighbor, furnace failure/freeze alert etc.On the
other hand, I have no experience on what it takes to close up a desert
property for the summer.

Just wondering if anyone has practical experience with the snowbird thing?
Thoughts about both, the cold weather and warm weather aspects?

I know when we owned a lake cottage in northern Wisconsin, every tool I
ever
needed was always at the other house! Didn't matter what it was, or which
house we were at, it was always at the other house! That was just 150
miles
away, now we're contemplating 1,000 miles for 6 months at a time.

Any thoughts or experiences, negative or positive will be appreciated!

Thanks all,

Sounds fun.

Find a couple of neighbors or three that will do chores for you and
pick the best one and reward him/her handsomely for their caretaker
duties.

In addition, I'd install a web cam so I could watch the place 24/7
from the 'other' place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JJ" wrote:

Many thanks for the useful advise.
Did check with my home insurer and no problem leaving it vacant for months.
Also, did find the idea of a webcam to monitor the house very interesting.
I'll have to research that.

No problem paying premiums when the house is unoccupied. Better get it
in writing that they will actually pay claims if the house is vandalized
or burnt. Do not rely on what an agent says, it is not legally binding.

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)

Second homes. Thoughts? JJ Home Repair 6 December 13th 06 04:46 PM
1987 homes compare to newer homes kelly Home Repair 13 January 3rd 06 11:12 PM
Modular Homes Trip Poly Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 06:53 AM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 07:52 AM
Transeastern Homes/Ashton Woods Homes in FL CJ Home Ownership 0 February 16th 04 06:27 PM