Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A couple more electrical questions...

and then I will be done for a while, really!

I have a Sylvania breaker box, and need to put a common trip quad breaker in
for a new circuit because I am out of room. Two years ago I put in a
Siemens quad, so I know they fit and work; but now can't find one. I need a
C23030CT2. Lowes carries Murray, and while they don't have the one I need,
they have a quad that looks to be identical to the Siemens. Are they the
same? The Murray I need is a MP230230CT2, and seem to be readily available.

(I am tempted to pull out three circuits going to my workshop and put a
subpanel in, rather than putting in the fourth circuit. I sure wish I had
done it that way originally.)

I intend on running 10/2AC or 10/2MC. The AC is $0.60/ft, and the MC is
$1.10/ft. What about the MC is worth nearly twice the price? I don't want
to waste $50, but I "save" $50 by buying a product that will be much
inferior.
That's all, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
and then I will be done for a while, really!

I have a Sylvania breaker box, and need to put a common trip quad breaker
in for a new circuit because I am out of room. Two years ago I put in a
Siemens quad, so I know they fit and work; but now can't find one. I need
a C23030CT2. Lowes carries Murray, and while they don't have the one I
need, they have a quad that looks to be identical to the Siemens. Are
they the same? The Murray I need is a MP230230CT2, and seem to be readily
available.

If it mounts OK, then it is OK.

(I am tempted to pull out three circuits going to my workshop and put a
subpanel in, rather than putting in the fourth circuit. I sure wish I had
done it that way originally.)

Yes and yes ... a sub-panel is good.

I intend on running 10/2AC or 10/2MC. The AC is $0.60/ft, and the MC is
$1.10/ft. What about the MC is worth nearly twice the price? I don't
want to waste $50, but I "save" $50 by buying a product that will be much
inferior.

Check your local code requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

I presume either is allowed; it that not always true?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Toller, if you're keeping notes, you gotta know more than the rest of us.
I'm pretty sure Murray will fit. The problem is over the years, these
competing manufacturers keep making small changes to try to prevent other
manufacturer's stuff from fitting, to the point that they're own stuff won't
fit in all of their panels. The Murray would be your best bet if you can't
find Siemens

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sorry, I meant Sylvania. I believe it's considered a code violation in that
the NEC states that you have to follow manufacturers instructions and no
manufacturer is going to say to use another's products

"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
and then I will be done for a while, really!

I have a Sylvania breaker box, and need to put a common trip quad breaker in
for a new circuit because I am out of room. Two years ago I put in a
Siemens quad, so I know they fit and work; but now can't find one. I need a
C23030CT2. Lowes carries Murray, and while they don't have the one I need,
they have a quad that looks to be identical to the Siemens. Are they the
same? The Murray I need is a MP230230CT2, and seem to be readily available.

Don't know them specifically, but should be rated/listed for
interchange if it is. A electrical service distributorship will have
the data sheets/catalogs that will tell if you'll go there instead of
the Borg's.

(I am tempted to pull out three circuits going to my workshop and put a
subpanel in, rather than putting in the fourth circuit. I sure wish I had
done it that way originally.)

I'd recommend it as a far cleaner solution and agree w/ the "rue the
day" sentiment. If's almost always better to plan ahead for growth and
who knows--you may want something yet again one day and then be stuck
for certain.

I intend on running 10/2AC or 10/2MC. The AC is $0.60/ft, and the MC is
$1.10/ft. What about the MC is worth nearly twice the price? I don't want
to waste $50, but I "save" $50 by buying a product that will be much
inferior.

"Inferior" is hardly the word here, they're designed for differening
purposes/applications. Where is the run and what is needed for it is
the question to answer, then buy the appropriate cable. You might look
here for MC description and then find the AC and compare. (Google is
your friend )

http://www.southwire.com/Southwire/S...alog_pages.pdf
That's all, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

At the risk of being dense, I read the descriptions of AC and MC there.
They have the same uses, except in wet conditions. Since my application is
not wet, I should use AC. That's how I read it.

But I have pretty much changed gears to a subpanel with SER aluminum anyhow.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

"Inferior" is hardly the word here, they're designed for differening
purposes/applications. Where is the run and what is needed for it is
the question to answer, then buy the appropriate cable. You might look
here for MC description and then find the AC and compare. (Google is
your friend )

http://www.southwire.com/Southwire/S...alog_pages.pdf

At the risk of being dense, I read the descriptions of AC and MC there.
They have the same uses, except in wet conditions. Since my application is
not wet, I should use AC. That's how I read it.

Yes, but I meant it in even the larger picture -- for an interior
circuit, did you _really_ need the armored cable at all? The point was
simply of getting what is required whereas from the way the question
was asked it seemed like the choice was being made from price/wire type
and then hoping it fit the purpose -- sort of the "cart before the
horse" approach.

But I have pretty much changed gears to a subpanel with SER aluminum anyhow.

From the sounds of it, to supply a shop from a subpanel would be _far_

superior than remote individual circuits iiuc what you're doing, I
agree. Localized global cutoff is simply handier and adds a level of
safety that might be useful in the future even if not immediately,
plus, assuming you don't undersize it, future growth is much easier to
accomodate.

I have a couple of finishing questions joed Woodworking 4 April 10th 06 02:00 PM
A couple of questions about sharpening Jack Fearnley Woodworking 18 June 13th 05 04:23 PM
couple of questions Barry Metalworking 6 May 10th 05 01:43 AM
A couple of plumbing questions fnord Home Repair 4 March 24th 05 02:31 AM
A couple of Painting questions. James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 8 March 1st 05 04:39 PM