Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default A couple more electrical questions...

Toller wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

"Inferior" is hardly the word here, they're designed for differening
purposes/applications. Where is the run and what is needed for it is
the question to answer, then buy the appropriate cable. You might look
here for MC description and then find the AC and compare. (Google is
your friend )

http://www.southwire.com/Southwire/S...alog_pages.pdf

At the risk of being dense, I read the descriptions of AC and MC there.
They have the same uses, except in wet conditions. Since my application is
not wet, I should use AC. That's how I read it.

Yes, but I meant it in even the larger picture -- for an interior
circuit, did you _really_ need the armored cable at all? The point was
simply of getting what is required whereas from the way the question
was asked it seemed like the choice was being made from price/wire type
and then hoping it fit the purpose -- sort of the "cart before the
horse" approach.

But I have pretty much changed gears to a subpanel with SER aluminum anyhow.

From the sounds of it, to supply a shop from a subpanel would be _far_

superior than remote individual circuits iiuc what you're doing, I
agree. Localized global cutoff is simply handier and adds a level of
safety that might be useful in the future even if not immediately,
plus, assuming you don't undersize it, future growth is much easier to
accomodate.