Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flickering Bulb Question

This may be a hard problem to describe but I'm going to give it a shot
here. I have tried various searches but couldn't find any info. I am
renting a very old house, it's very large and was converted into three
seperate dwellings. I don't now how long ago this was all done but I am
assuming it was at least 25 years ago.

Anyway, recenlty I have had a problem in the bathroom. Over the
mirror there is a light fixture with two bulb sockets. A week or so ago
one of the bulbs didn't light so I assumed that it had burnt. I had no
extras on hand so I couldn't check. I then noticed that the other bulb
has had a hard time lighting when I flip the switch. It does light most
times, but will make a buzzing, popping or crackling noise. I then
tried that bulb in the other socket and it did the same thing.

At first I thought maybe it was just a case of the socket wearing out
or a loose bulb. Then just now, I went into my basement to get
something and one of the two bulbs down there has starting o do the
exact same thing. I know it's not a case of overloading, all of the
bulbe here except one are low wattage compact flouresants. And I did
try an incandecant bulb to see and it does the same.

What could be causing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If they are buzzing and popping at the location of the fixtures, I would
guess a loose connection to the fixture, and the same thing in the basement

"TheGatekeeper" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
bad light switch.

TheGatekeeper wrote:
This may be a hard problem to describe but I'm going to give it a shot
here. I have tried various searches but couldn't find any info. I am
renting a very old house, it's very large and was converted into three
separate dwellings. I don't now how long ago this was all done but I am
assuming it was at least 25 years ago.

Anyway, recently I have had a problem in the bathroom. Over the
mirror there is a light fixture with two bulb sockets. A week or so ago
one of the bulbs didn't light so I assumed that it had burnt. I had no
extras on hand so I couldn't check. I then noticed that the other bulb
has had a hard time lighting when I flip the switch. It does light most
times, but will make a buzzing, popping or crackling noise. I then
tried that bulb in the other socket and it did the same thing.

At first I thought maybe it was just a case of the socket wearing out
or a loose bulb. Then just now, I went into my basement to get
something and one of the two bulbs down there has starting o do the
exact same thing. I know it's not a case of overloading, all of the
bulb here except one are low wattage compact fluorescents. And I did
try an incandescent bulb to see and it does the same.

What could be causing this?

..
..
Agreed; could be a bad switch, bad wiring connection, corroded (damp
bathroom etc.) old fixtures etc.

But you are renting? And since you have to ask are not very
technical????

Tell landlord. Don't try to fix it yourself you might be be liable i.e.
become part of the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have fuses check them ALL.

Some older homes have a fuse (not circuit breaker) on the neutral. Over
many years this can heat/cool/heat etc. causing a cracking in the fuse.
Many folks don't realize but in a 240V system the neutral doesn't
always carry current, and rarely the full designed load. But when a
neutral fuse partly fails things get really weird. I've seen it!

RickR

terry wrote:
buffalobill wrote:
bad light switch.

[...]