Default Light Bulb Question

This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade. Appreciate help from someone who knows
about these things.

RBM

Absolutely do not use the halogen in a fixture not specifically rated for
it. Halogen fixtures use high temperature wire due to the heat generated.
Even some fixtures made for halogen lamps have been found to be fire
hazards. There are some Edison based halogen lamps made to replace standard
A lamps, but in a fixture with a shade I don't think I'd take the chance

wrote in message
oups.com...
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade. Appreciate help from someone who knows
about these things.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade. Appreciate help from someone who knows
about these things.

Many torchiere lamps were recalled because the excessive heat was starting
fires in curtains and such. Sounds like a bad idea.

PipeDown

If the lamp is UL rated it will also have a sticker listing the maximum
wattage for each style bulb that will fit in it. If you ignore this label,
you risk fire. Many enclosed incandescant lamps are 65W and open lamps are
120W

wrote in message
oups.com...
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade. Appreciate help from someone who knows
about these things.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade. Appreciate help from someone who knows
about these things.

Many torchiere lamps were recalled because the excessive heat was starting
fires in curtains and such. Sounds like a bad idea.

Greetings,

It is too bad that the 500 W torchiere lamps were recalled. I would
have much rather seen a warning to keep them 3 feet or more from
combustibles. I guess Americans just can't handle a product which is
only safe when used as directed.

Too bad,
William

jeffc

wrote in message
oups.com...
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give much
light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base that
would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot? My husband thinks it
might burn the lampshade.

Do not put a halogen bulb in any fixture not designed for that specific
wattage of halogen. It gets VERY hot. Yes, it will probably burn the
shade.

RBM

Just to clarify, the problem with the fixtures that were recalled was the
bowl shaped open top. Objects were to easily tossed into them, often by
children and ignited by the heat. They were replaced with models that had a
protective lens over the bowl. It was more a design flaw considering the
intense heat generated by the lamp, and had little to do with the competence
of any particular nationality

" wrote in message
ups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

George E. Cawthon

RBM wrote:
Just to clarify, the problem with the fixtures that were recalled was the
bowl shaped open top. Objects were to easily tossed into them, often by
children and ignited by the heat. They were replaced with models that had a
protective lens over the bowl. It was more a design flaw considering the
intense heat generated by the lamp, and had little to do with the competence
of any particular nationality

Yep, you are right, it doesn't have anything to do
with a particular nationality, sex, religion, etc.
It has to do with stupidity, failure of parents
to monitor and control their children, and the
general unconscious and uncaring behavior of some
people. Examples include people who don't notice
that the lamp was moved off center and is now
leaning against the drapes (even tho the switch is
on the lamp pole or moved the lamp to a position
against the drapes.
RBM

George, I couldn't agree more, unfortunately between the lawyers, the
lawsuits and the liberal politicians that support them, we are no longer
responsible for our own actions. If you buy a device with a blade and find a
way to cut yourself, It's the manufacturer's fault. If you buy something
that heats and manage to burn yourself, it's the manufacturer's fault. By
cultivating a mentality that "our" safety is someone else's responsibility,
people today no longer THINK about common sense dangers

RBM wrote:
[...]

It does have something to do with our nationality. For some reason
Americans have voted themselves a system where we have more lawyers
than the rest of the world combined. For some reason Americans have
voted themselves a system where every bad thing that happens is somehow
the manufacturer's fault. This IS AMERICA today. Americans, nobody
else, made America this way. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
It is a problem with our nationality-- with our voters; the severity of
the problem is unique to us.

Hope this helps,
William

RBM

William, your argument nor mine for that matter changes the fact that some
things are just designed poorly and having seen a variety of this type of
fixture, I would include them in that group. Having said that, you are dead
right in my opinion about what we as Americans are becoming. I do the best I
can to teach my children to be conscious of what they're doing and not to
expect or believe that it's anyone else's job to do their thinking for them.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the winds of change have begun to
blow in this country and maybe in a few years these things will start to
straighten out.

Best, Roy

" wrote in message
oups.com...

RBM wrote:
[...]

Don Klipstein

In article , RBM wrote:
Absolutely do not use the halogen in a fixture not specifically rated for
it. Halogen fixtures use high temperature wire due to the heat generated.
Even some fixtures made for halogen lamps have been found to be fire
hazards. There are some Edison based halogen lamps made to replace standard
A lamps, but in a fixture with a shade I don't think I'd take the chance

Go by the wattage rating of the fixture or the wattage rating of the
socket when using Edison base lamps. Edison base halogen lamps with a
glass outer bulb surrounding the halogen capsule produce heat output
similar to that of non-halogen same-base units of the same wattage.

Many sockets have a 250 watt limit, probably including most of those
cheap brass ones with the brown paper insulator between the outer part of
the socket and the part that the lamp/bulb screws into.

- Don Klipstein )
Don Klipstein

In article , Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
This may be the wrong board for this question but I can't think where
else to get the answer. My halogen torchiere lamp finally stopped
working. I have a regular floor lamp with shade that doesn't give
much light. I have found a 300 watt halogen bulb with a regular base
that would fit the floor lamp. Will it be too hot?

What is the wattage limit of that lamp fixture? It should give you a
maximum wattage. Never exceed that wattage. My guess is it will be like
150W. A standard base 300W halogen can be used in a floor lamp if that
floor lamp is rated for 300W. Frankly I don't like to go to the max. I
have seen too many that did not do well that way. I would want a floor lamp
rated for 500W for that 300W bulb.

I suggest that you take a look around. You should find some florescent
floor lamps that are as bright as a 300W lamp but put out a lot less heat
and cost less to operate.

I totally encourage use of the fluorescent floor lamps. Just beware -
they are not as bright as 300 watt halogens. But since (at 10 cents per
KWH, approx. USA average residential electricity cost) they cost about 2.4
cents per hour less to run, a couple years electricity savings could put
an extra $37 floor lamp into the budget.

- Don Klipstein )

Another BULB question PhilÅ UK diy 13 January 5th 05 11:19 PM
Inground spa light replacement question Neal Home Repair 2 October 4th 04 02:28 AM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 1999 tire question! oktokie Home Repair 4 June 16th 04 07:27 PM
Pool Light Niche and Rewiring Question Steven Scharf Home Repair 0 May 20th 04 02:25 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM