Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 volt impact wrench

I've stripped out the stock tire-iron. I've had some fold up.
Most of the stock irons put a sideways torque on the lug and the
iron slips off, rounding both.

Having a 3' hunk of blackpipe in the car
is still a better solution, though.

Having a good (cross) tire iron; priceless.

"Good" is the operative word here. A good
1-bend tire iron won't slip of the lugs,
and a good cross-iron won't freaking twist
into a pretzel and snap the socket off the
bar on you. Both of which I've had happen
with cheap equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:29:49 -0500, krw wrote:

Having a good (cross) tire iron; priceless.

Having one that fits the lug nuts; priceless.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik posted for all of us...

Is "G" suggesting you use the tire jack to lift up on the lugnut wrench to
break loose the lugnuts? A great opportunity to have the thing slip and go
flying with some force in a random direction.

Run Forest, RUN
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
You put the tire-iron on the nut, handle-sticking out sideways,
to the right. Then you put the jack under the end of the handle
and crank it up.

I've had jacks (more than one) that didn't have any surface that was
usable for something like that. One example was the one that had nothing
but a hook on its business end for hooking into a slot on the car.

--
Asking Iran and Syria to help us succeed in Iraq is like your local fire
department asking a couple of arsonists to help put out the fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:17:41 -0600, clifto wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
You put the tire-iron on the nut, handle-sticking out sideways,
to the right. Then you put the jack under the end of the handle
and crank it up.

I've had jacks (more than one) that didn't have any surface that was
usable for something like that. One example was the one that had nothing
but a hook on its business end for hooking into a slot on the car.

The limiting factor is usually the socket on the lugnut. An adult jumping
down on a tire iron can produce over 200 ft-lbs of force assuming it
didn't slip off, but 30-40 ft-lbs is probably a typical maximum before
a cheap tool slips off.

How do I use an impact wrench mm Home Repair 11 September 27th 06 03:35 AM
How do I use an impact wrench mm Home Repair 3 September 22nd 06 04:35 PM
How do I use an impact wrench mm Home Repair 0 September 21st 06 09:33 PM
impact wrench habbi Metalworking 49 December 16th 05 09:18 PM
3/4 IR impact wrench B.B. Metalworking 8 September 14th 05 06:53 AM