Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to change oil in old Montgomery Ward snow blower?

I just acquired an old MW snow blower and need to change the oil, but I
have not idea where the drain plug is. It is a 4HP, Tecumseh from
around 1984. The model number label is worn, so I have no idea what it
is. I have never changed oil on a snow blower, so I don't even know
where to start.

Also, it says to use, 5W-30. Do I use the same kind of oil as I do for
a lawnmower, or do I use auto oil??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Regular automobile oil 5W30, as specified, will do the trick.

Now, as to the drain plug. Look for a fitting somewhere near the bottom
of the engine. Should be something like a square fitting on a threaded
plug, a recess in a threaded plug, or the like. I am not familiar with
that engine, but it should be pretty obvious. Use the right tool to get
it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just acquired an old MW snow blower and need to change the oil, but I
have not idea where the drain plug is. It is a 4HP, Tecumseh from
around 1984. The model number label is worn, so I have no idea what it
is. I have never changed oil on a snow blower, so I don't even know
where to start.

I bought a new lawnmower this year and can't find either the manual or the
oil plug.
I emptied the oil by turning it over and draining it through the fill tube.
Turned out to be easier than using the oil plug on my old lawnmower.
People will certainly tell me it doesn't get all the oil out, but I only put
15 hours a year on the mower; how bad can the oil be. Hopefully you don't
use a snowblower all that much either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Sun, 03 Dec 2006
02:41:32 GMT, Toller wrote:

I bought a new lawnmower this year and can't find either the manual or the
oil plug.
I emptied the oil by turning it over and draining it through the fill tube

This is *exactly* what the manual for my new Toro lawnmower said to do.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the "bolt" with four sided head is actually a drain plug.

With 4 HP, probably 20 ounces of new oil. I like Castrol. On my last
truck, it was the only brand that quieted the rod knock for more than
two days.

For a snow blower, 5-W30 is the stuff to use. Lawn mower runs in the
summer, so it uses a higher weight number.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The oil I have is for 4-cycle tractor/lawnmower engines. But it is
actually 10W30, not 5W.

I think I found it. On the bottom in the back is just one bolt with 4
sides. I thought it was a mointing bolt, but all of the others are
standard, this is the only one with four.

Thanks for all of the tips.