Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaning fence post

Hope you guys/girls can help me..installed cedar fence with 6x6 corner posts
in concrete roughly 30" deep in Dallas, TX. Height is roughly 7'.

It has developed a lean to one side, pulling away from the fence line,and is
quite noticeable, perhaps15 degrees or so. The side it is leaning too has
about 6" of ground betwenn the concrete and the curb.

This post has no stress on it other than about a 6' length of bamboo
fencing, opposite the lean, which weights hardly anything. Rest of fence is
fine.

How do I get this post upright without breaking it all apart and starting
over? Really would hate that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Carruth" wrote in message
t...
Hope you guys/girls can help me..installed cedar fence with 6x6 corner
posts in concrete roughly 30" deep in Dallas, TX. Height is roughly 7'.

It has developed a lean to one side, pulling away from the fence line,and
is quite noticeable, perhaps15 degrees or so. The side it is leaning too
has about 6" of ground betwenn the concrete and the curb.

This post has no stress on it other than about a 6' length of bamboo
fencing, opposite the lean, which weights hardly anything. Rest of fence
is fine.

How do I get this post upright without breaking it all apart and starting
over? Really would hate that.

I will venture a guess that you got one with a bad grain, a side cut. Other
than taking it out an replacing it I don't think there is much you can do.

When buying the new one examine the ends of the post and try to buy one that
is center cut. IE: the rings are about the same forming a bull's-eye.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Carruth wrote:
Hope you guys/girls can help me..installed cedar fence with 6x6
corner posts in concrete roughly 30" deep in Dallas, TX. Height is
roughly 7'.
It has developed a lean to one side, pulling away from the fence
line,and is quite noticeable, perhaps15 degrees or so. The side it is
leaning too has about 6" of ground betwenn the concrete and the curb.

This post has no stress on it other than about a 6' length of bamboo
fencing, opposite the lean, which weights hardly anything. Rest of
fence is fine.

How do I get this post upright without breaking it all apart and
starting over? Really would hate that.

Is the post leaning? Or is it warping?

If leaning,
Put a stake in the ground, loop a rope around the stake and the top of the
fence post several times. Stick another stake in the looped rope and tighten
the whole thing up. Then give it a few more turns.

Tighten a turn or two every day.

When the post is straight again, strengthen the post's foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

30" inches is pretty deep, but you could possibly dig down on the
opposite side of the lean, and upright it by pushing it, then fill in
dirt on the side that it leans on

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Carruth wrote:
Hope you guys/girls can help me..installed cedar fence with 6x6
corner posts in concrete roughly 30" deep in Dallas, TX. Height is
roughly 7'.
It has developed a lean to one side, pulling away from the fence
line,and is quite noticeable, perhaps15 degrees or so. The side it is
leaning too has about 6" of ground betwenn the concrete and the curb.

This post has no stress on it other than about a 6' length of bamboo
fencing, opposite the lean, which weights hardly anything. Rest of
fence is fine.

How do I get this post upright without breaking it all apart and
starting over? Really would hate that.

Assuming the post is not bent, I would hazard a guess that there is a
problem at the curb. Maybe they left a void when they put the road in.
You may need to do some serious digging to find and fix the real problem.
It is also possible that a water supple or sewer line has leaked and washed
out that area. I hope I am wrong. If I am I would vote for trying the
stakes and twisted rope trick, it can work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Chris Carruth wrote:
[...]

Is it possible that a car ran into the post?

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Chris Carruth wrote:
[...]

Good idea. If that is true, then I would believe that it will be
relatively easy to fix since there will not be an underlying problem to
correct.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Leaning lamp post [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 28th 06 03:52 PM
Fence Post crmay Home Repair 11 May 27th 06 01:37 AM
Concrete Fence Post ?'s KJR UK diy 3 August 3rd 05 07:52 PM
What is the best 4 x 4 Fence Post to Use? Michael Home Repair 8 July 9th 03 04:12 AM