Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Homelite Blower

Yesterday I went to start my Homelite Blower (UT08934) and the cord
broke about 5 inches from the handle. I tried opening it up but found
that the case was not easy to open, probably to keep dummies like myself
from doing damage! (grin)

Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired and if repaired what
would be the possible charge, I assume the labor would be the most
expensive? Florida is the state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote in
:

Yesterday I went to start my Homelite Blower (UT08934) and the cord
broke about 5 inches from the handle. I tried opening it up but found
that the case was not easy to open, probably to keep dummies like
myself from doing damage! (grin)

Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired and if repaired
what would be the possible charge, I assume the labor would be the
most expensive? Florida is the state.

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I
took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind each
side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they do "hide"
them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart to finally
get at the clutch.

Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message. Threw
it out.

Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired

I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can
probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost you
get all new...under warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Homelite Blower Thanks Al Bundy!!!!!

Al Bundy wrote:

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I
took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind each
side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they do "hide"
them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart to finally
get at the clutch.
Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message. Threw
it out.
I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can
probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost you
get all new...under warranty.

Thanks Al

Since it is not that old it was not an immediate response jusst to buy a
new one but if it is that difficult then it might just be better to
replace the whole damn thing.

Lee
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I
took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind each
side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they do "hide"
them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart to finally
get at the clutch.
Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message. Threw
it out.
I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can
probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost you
get all new...under warranty.

Thanks Al

Since it is not that old it was not an immediate response jusst to buy a
new one but if it is that difficult then it might just be better to
replace the whole damn thing.

Lee

Justs went through a similar problem. Blowing leaves off the patio,
slowed down and ran rough, smoothed out when I brought it vertical,
pointed down did the smae then heard a 'clunk' as if something came
adrift in the crankcase. No odd noises and compression seemed normal
when cranking it again but absolutely no fire. I bourght a new one
even tho the old one was still under warranty. This was as Weed Eater
Feather Light that only cosst $69 at Wally World. Didn't figure it was
worth the hassle to send it in for re-work plus I needed one 'today,
not 2 weeks from now'.

I will tear it down sometime this winter just out of curiosity to see
what happened.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote in
:

Al Bundy wrote:

Had an old Homelite Blower/Vac. Don't remember the UT number. Once I
took the base bar off that it stands on, there was a screw behind
each side of the handle where it went into the unit. That says they
do "hide" them. I had to take practically the whole damn thing apart
to finally get at the clutch.
Got it fixed. Month later something else went. I got the message.
Threw it out.
I bet $50-75 - mostly labor. Just a guess. Call a shop. They can
probably tell you "no less than $xx". Figure for 2x the repair cost
you get all new...under warranty.

Thanks Al

Since it is not that old it was not an immediate response jusst to buy
a new one but if it is that difficult then it might just be better to
replace the whole damn thing.

Lee

but if it is that difficult

Every model can be different - one a piece of cake and the other a piece
of ****.

Long ago I had a VW Beetle (the ones with the round bar at the top of
the bumper). Or maybe it was the Karman Gia. Can't remember. Could not
change one plug without, I think it was, removing motor mount or
something.

Back 3 plugs on my Mitsu 3000GT. Pray they stay good and change when
timing belt AND water pump is changed. Hours & hours of labor to get at
water pump.

Old GMC 6cyl pickup. Water pump right in front with a few bolts. $15
part and 30 min to swap.

In summary, **** happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If it is a cheap $99 blower, scrap it and buy a new one. I took apart a
Craftsman once to fix the spring. Successful but it was never quite right.
They are pretty much disposable.

"Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday I went to start my Homelite Blower (UT08934) and the cord broke
about 5 inches from the handle. I tried opening it up but found that the
case was not easy to open, probably to keep dummies like myself from doing
damage! (grin)

Is it cheaper to buy a new one or have it repaired and if repaired what
would be the possible charge, I assume the labor would be the most
expensive? Florida is the state.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Usually a local shop handles the repairs. Also I think Walmart will mail
in warranty work for free if that is where you bought it.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...