Posted to alt.home.repair

Default INSTALLING KITCHEN SINK

What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "MRS. CLEAN" wrote:
What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Leaks.

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Yes.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...
What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Leaks. You can bet on it.

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "MRS. CLEAN" wrote:
What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Puddles. And then rot.

If those are not what you wanted, do it properly and use
$0.50 of plumbers putty.

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Of course. The cracking sounds will give you a small
hint that you went too far.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you don't have plumber's putty, you can also use silicone sealant
(caulk). In fact, some manufacturers actually recommend silicone now as it
doesn't discolor porcelain the way that some plumber's putty will.

HTH,
Jonathan

--

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...
What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in
ups.com:

What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

If you are actually refering to the basket, then it's best to check the
documentation that came with the unit and also the sink documentation.
Most baskets (around here anyways) these days come with their own sealing
gasket and plummers putty isn't required. If you omit using either of them
however, as others have mentioned, you're only asking for trouble in the
long run.

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Anything can be overtightened....... grin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...
What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around
the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

I like plumbers putty, but have been on jobs were they use silicone
caulking, Siqoplex (sp) There is a lot of things that will seal a strainer
basket. I never seen a Fiberglass sink drain, sure it's not just plastic.
Simple test put on floor hit with hammer if it snaps more than just mush's
over most likely fiberglass, Then go buy a brass/chromed one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ONE MORE QUESTION:

The drain came with a rubber gasket and the instructions say to use it
with a metal sink.

Can I use it on a plastic sink?

Or, should I use plumbers putty?

Or, both?