Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor Grout Alternatives?

Between my dining and main entrance I have a 16' run where two very
different floors meet. The dining room is solid bamboo T&G and the hall
floor is slate tile. The bamboo was installed about four years ago and since
the grout line (1/2" to 3/8") separating the two floors has begun to crack
and crumble in spots. I attribute this to seasonal movement. The question
is, is there a grout-like product with a little bit more give than cement
grout that can be used? I'm thinking something more rubber or latex based.
Thx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw writes:

You can either buy the caulk
"sanded" or "unsanded" to most closely match the grout.

Or ... gasp ... mix some sand in to ordinary caulk, instead of buying the
overpriced tile version.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
Between my dining and main entrance I have a 16' run where two very
different floors meet. The dining room is solid bamboo T&G and the hall
floor is slate tile. The bamboo was installed about four years ago and

since
the grout line (1/2" to 3/8") separating the two floors has begun to crack
and crumble in spots. I attribute this to seasonal movement. The question
is, is there a grout-like product with a little bit more give than cement
grout that can be used? I'm thinking something more rubber or latex based.
Thx.

There are caulks that look like grout. Check at any good tile store -
they will have color samples to compare. They are a lot softer than
grout.

Or, you could use epoxy grout, which has better 'give' than regular
grout. It's expensive, and a little tricky to use.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

This sounds like what I need.
Thanks everybody.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Epoxy grout has about as much give as hard plastic.
Any gap between tile and wood should be very soft, such
as the sanded caulking mentioned several times.

I'm curious too how the other poster would mix his own
sand in with unsanded caulking, and where he would get the
very fine pure sand that is mixed in sanded caulk.

thetiler