Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas powered water pump

Does anybody have any recommendations for a high capacity water pump which
runs off gasoline? Honda and a number of other companies make 2 and 3 inch
discharge pumps for draining swimming pools, flooded basements, construction
sites, etc. They typically can handle 100 gallons per minute and up.

Many thanks.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your reply!

I want to pump water and not any debris or sludge. The Honda impressed me a
lot but is close to $500. There are much cheaper alternatives with the same
pumping capacity, but I am reluctant to buy a cheapo unit and then regret
it.

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others are
garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy 2 of
them for the price of a Honda......

Smarty
wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:07:57 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a high capacity water pump which
runs off gasoline? Honda and a number of other companies make 2 and 3 inch
discharge pumps for draining swimming pools, flooded basements,
construction
sites, etc. They typically can handle 100 gallons per minute and up.

Many thanks.

Smarty

It really depends on what yoiu are pumping and how much you plan on
using it.
The most efficient is a "clear water" pump but it won't tolerate much
debris. The other end of that scale is a diaphram mud pump that will
move almost anything but not that efficiently.
The other issue is duribility. A Briggs cast aluminum engine will
probably be fine for occasional use but a pump used a lot needs a more
substantial engine like the commercial Honda. That has low oil
shutoff, steel sleeved cylinders and other stuff for heavy duty use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the place I used to work only went through 3 wacker pumps with Honda engines
in about 8 years. This is running 12 hours a day, seven days a week, during
the watering season and not being allowed to cool off before shutdown. (we'd
just let it run out of gas). The only drawback is the engine is proprietary
to the pump and you can't buy a crankshaft for it when the bearings go out.
We'd just buy a whole new pump. I think one would last forever in
intermittent use and cooled off properly. (idled down for at least 5
minutes)

--
Steve Barker

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply!

I want to pump water and not any debris or sludge. The Honda impressed me
a lot but is close to $500. There are much cheaper alternatives with the
same pumping capacity, but I am reluctant to buy a cheapo unit and then
regret it.

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others are
garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy 2 of
them for the price of a Honda......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to both of you for replying. My need are strictly for emergency
backup with very light use so it sounds like the Honda may be overkill. I'll
do some research and pick a cheaper pump given the big price difference and
light duty service.

Many thanks,

Smarty

wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:46:45 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others are
garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy 2 of
them for the price of a Honda......

You get what you pay for. Honda may be a little overpriced but they
have a good reputation. On the other hand if this is goinmg to be
sitting in the garage most of the time you might never wear it out,
even if it was a cheaper model. They are all hard to start and don't
age well if you are not using them.
Compare features and see what the price/performance point is for your
use. Most folks do fine with something in the middle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think Briggs suggests oil change every 25 hours. In your case,
that's every other day. I like Castrol for motor oil. On my last
truck, that was the only oil that quieted the rod knock for more than
two days after an oil change.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply!

I want to pump water and not any debris or sludge. The Honda

impressed me
a lot but is close to $500. There are much cheaper alternatives with

the
same pumping capacity, but I am reluctant to buy a cheapo unit and

then
regret it.

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others

are
garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy

2 of
them for the price of a Honda......

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
I didn't mention a bogus and stratton. Wouldn't have one up my ass.

You prefer a Tecumseh for that application? ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately, I have to recommend the jap honda. I haven't found a pump
with a kohler on it, and they are the only american small engine worth
having.

--
Steve Barker

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I didn't mention a bogus and stratton. Wouldn't have one up my ass.

You prefer a Tecumseh for that application? ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

The Kawasaki also comes from Japan and is about half the price of the Honda.
Any thoughts?

Smarty

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
Unfortunately, I have to recommend the jap honda. I haven't found a pump
with a kohler on it, and they are the only american small engine worth
having.

--
Steve Barker

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I didn't mention a bogus and stratton. Wouldn't have one up my ass.

You prefer a Tecumseh for that application? ;-)

--
Keith

Inexpensive Gas powered water pump Smarty Home Repair 0 November 22nd 06 09:16 PM
Solar Powered Water Pump Scott UK diy 3 March 15th 06 01:30 PM
Break-even point for home electric generator powered by natural gas? What about NG-powered AC compressor? Abby Normal Home Repair 2 December 4th 05 08:55 PM
valve for water powered sump pump? toller Home Repair 8 February 14th 05 03:18 AM
geothermal natural gas powered heat pump Joseph Meehan Home Repair 9 January 31st 05 01:55 PM