Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Gas powered water pump

Thanks for your reply!

I want to pump water and not any debris or sludge. The Honda impressed me a
lot but is close to $500. There are much cheaper alternatives with the same
pumping capacity, but I am reluctant to buy a cheapo unit and then regret
it.

I wonder if the $200 to $250 alternatives from Kawasaki and others are
garbage or if they hold up well and are a better choice. I could buy 2 of
them for the price of a Honda......

Smarty
wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:07:57 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a high capacity water pump which
runs off gasoline? Honda and a number of other companies make 2 and 3 inch
discharge pumps for draining swimming pools, flooded basements,
construction
sites, etc. They typically can handle 100 gallons per minute and up.

Many thanks.

Smarty

It really depends on what yoiu are pumping and how much you plan on
using it.
The most efficient is a "clear water" pump but it won't tolerate much
debris. The other end of that scale is a diaphram mud pump that will
move almost anything but not that efficiently.
The other issue is duribility. A Briggs cast aluminum engine will
probably be fine for occasional use but a pump used a lot needs a more
substantial engine like the commercial Honda. That has low oil
shutoff, steel sleeved cylinders and other stuff for heavy duty use.