Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic Gas Tank Spigot Cut With Razor Knife

We were trying to remove a stuck on gas line from a plastic lawnmower
gas tank & used a very sharp razor knife to cut through the gas line.
The gas line came off - but you guessed it - we put a nice clean slit
in half of the plastic nipple coming off the bottom of the tank. The
slit runs up to maybe 1/16" to the bottom of the tank.

Other than replacing the tank - Anyone know of a way to patch the slit
up?

Some possibilities we thought of a
* using a soldering iron to try melting the plastic together - we
thought that would just end up with a melted blob of plastic if we did
this

* using a hot melt glue gun to stick the plastic together- that is
still a maybe but we doubt it would hold as the gasoline could dissolve
the hot melt glue

* using some sort of teflon tape to wrap around the plastic spigot &
then pushing the replacement gas line up flush with the bottom of the
tank & clamping it on.

* or maybe there is a special glue for this purpose?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Cindy