Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Through-the-wall air conditioner covers

I'm in upstate New York, and definately would like to get a more effective way
to cover through-the-wall air conditioners covered for the wintertime, than
those wrapped covers I've used in the past.

I've seen some houses with the air conditioners that are covered with what
appears to be a box, painted to match the siding. I've brought them up with my
GC/carpenter, and I'd like something like that once he gets my new siding up.

They *look like* they're PT plywood, maybe pressfit on. My GC and I were
talking about maybe sizing them to press-fit, with board insulation on the
inside, and drill some weep holes on the bottom...

Are there any kits for this kind of thing? Does anyone have any tips? (Other
than walking up cold and knocking on strangers' doors and asking "hey how didja
get your through the wall A/C's covered...") Hopefully you know what I'm trying
to describe...

TIA,
Banty (feeling very inarticulate today..)