Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sweating toilet...help!

I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

The moisture condenses from warm air in contact with a cold surface
(toilet tank). So, there are some kits that let you glue pieces of
insulating foam board inside your toilet tank, and there are kits that
let you plumb in hot water to a mixing value (like the shower) so you
fill the toilet with warm water. Air flow is important, too.

wrote:
I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Hey thanks Stubby for those ideas. I like the one about the insulation
on the inside of tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
, there are some kits that let you glue pieces of insulating foam board
inside your toilet tank,

Kohler has the Insuliner, but I think it is only factory installed American
Standard used to sell a molded foam insulating liner. Don't know if they
still do of if other brands may have them. Worth asking though. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

google. is your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ank+insulation

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a direct link:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sweatstopper.html

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a toilet that sweats all the time. I have well water. I live in
Michigan. Any ideas on stopping it? thanks for any ideas.

The humidity in your home might be too high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
and there are kits that
let you plumb in hot water to a mixing value (like the shower) so you
fill the toilet with warm water.

BAD idea. If someone flushes a few times, you'll get very hot water
being passed over the wax ring and cause melting or significant
softening.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

Spray it with antiperspirant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Stubby wrote:
and there are kits that
let you plumb in hot water to a mixing value (like the shower) so you
fill the toilet with warm water.

BAD idea. If someone flushes a few times, you'll get very hot water
being passed over the wax ring and cause melting or significant
softening.

Is that a BAD joke or something? The mixing valve is the VERY BEST way
to solve this problem. It can be adjusted to limit the flow of hot
water coming through - the temperature is controlled. You may very
well find that the insulation trick won't work well, if at all, in a
retrofit case.

See link below:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...544798,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

they don't let THAT hot of water in.

--
Steve Barker

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stubby wrote:
and there are kits that
let you plumb in hot water to a mixing value (like the shower) so you
fill the toilet with warm water.

BAD idea. If someone flushes a few times, you'll get very hot water
being passed over the wax ring and cause melting or significant
softening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Nov 2006 17:46:13 -0800, "mike"
wrote:

Stubby wrote:
and there are kits that
let you plumb in hot water to a mixing value (like the shower) so you
fill the toilet with warm water.

BAD idea. If someone flushes a few times, you'll get very hot water
being passed over the wax ring and cause melting or significant
softening.

Tempering valves only add enough hot water to get
somewhere near room temperature. Nobody's suggesting
replacing the cold-water supply with pure hot water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

Tempering valves only add enough hot water to get
somewhere near room temperature. Nobody's suggesting
replacing the cold-water supply with pure hot water.

I'm glad that's being clarified, but I'd still be more confortable with
something lower-tech with no possibility of malfunction and the ensuing
rotting floor.

Insulation is good, and the best solution is dealing with the excess
humidity that will likely cause other headaches (i.e. mold). Even
putting a longer run of copper pipe outside the humid bathroom would
allow the extra cold water to get closer to room temperature before
entering the bathroom area, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Folks:

I have had some luck with just cutting pieces of 1" thick styrofoam
'bead board' and
wedging them firmly against the inside walls of the toilet. By 'some
luck' I mean it
stopped the sweating, it was tricky to wedge all the foam into place
where it wouldn't
interfere with the mechanism, and it may not work with a G___D___
low-flush john
that fills the tank only 8" deep or so (too much displaced water) and
though it
worked beautifully when the lid was, the pieces tended to rise
majestically skyward
when said lid was removed with a full tank. But it did work. This
toilet also had
a homemade detergent-bottle deflector to prevent water from spraying
against the
lid from the cheap'n'leaky fill valve. We do what we must sometimes.

Cordially yours
G P

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Toilet Tank sweating JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 1 January 3rd 05 12:58 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM