Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disguising attic space

In our attic we have a dormer window furnished with a chandelier. The
attic is unfinished and when you turn on the light that is in the
dormer, you can see the rafters of the roof. We would like to put a
Christmas tree up there this year plus utilize the light that is in
there.

Finishing the space isn't very practical so we have been thinking of
ways to hide the sides of the dormer and the roof line. One of the ways
is to put up fabric along the walls and to hang a piece of fabric
across the back of the dormer. Another idea was to hang black plastic
up, however we think that black plastic would shine too much. Has
anybody run onto this situation or have any ideas we should try?

- Joel

Posted to alt.home.repair

joel Ricker wrote:

In our attic we have a dormer window furnished with a chandelier. The
attic is unfinished and when you turn on the light that is in the
dormer, you can see the rafters of the roof. We would like to put a
Christmas tree up there this year plus utilize the light that is in
there.

Finishing the space isn't very practical so we have been thinking of
ways to hide the sides of the dormer and the roof line. One of the ways
is to put up fabric along the walls and to hang a piece of fabric
across the back of the dormer. Another idea was to hang black plastic
up, however we think that black plastic would shine too much. Has
anybody run onto this situation or have any ideas we should try?

- Joel

When we have a situation where a window that is purely for
esthetics (such as a false dormer), we use geotextile fabric
to hide what is behind the window. It is durable and has some
UV protection, so it does not disintegrate in the sunlight.
Cheap too.

http://www.ephenry.com/Corporate/Pro...?Product_ID=81

--
Robert Allison