Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water sensor

Hi Folks, I would like to put a water sensor in a dry well that would
indicate if there's water in the well. There would be either an audio or
visual warning light or sound. Does anyone know of any products available?

Thanks
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I would like to put a water sensor in a dry well that would
indicate if there's water in the well. There would be either an audio or
visual warning light or sound. Does anyone know of any products available?

Just google 'high water alarm" or similar.
Or go to the hardware store and buy a sump pump switch, and
hook whatever you want to it.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I would like to put a water sensor in a dry well that would
indicate if there's water in the well. There would be either an audio or
visual warning light or sound. Does anyone know of any products available?

Thanks
Dick

Something like that would be fun to build. Take a Dc Battery and run a
positive wire to a float...throw it in the well...take a negative lead off
the other side of the battery and attach it to a steel plate above the
float...water comes in lifts the float against the plate and you have a
completed circut. Throw a light bulb or a buzzer inside the circut and
"Bob's yer uncle" ........a cool home made switch...

Tada! ..Thanks..I'm here all week! Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 16 Nov 2006 13:37:32 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

there is a $10 audible water alarm at home depot with also low battery
alert, it uses 2 contacts and a 9v battery.

I have something like this, at about this price. I attached the
original sensor in the basement sink (which can fill up when it rains
enough, including today (since I had forgotten to plug it) or might
fill up if the drain clogged and the clothes washer put both the wash
and rinse water into it) and I made another sensor (two pieces of
metal on an insulator, glued to the side of it) for the sump pump pit.
That way either sensor trips the alarm. I lengthened the wire from
the sensor to the alarm so that it went from the basement, along the
water pipe, to the cabinet below the sink, and put the alarm there.

Of course the battery went dead about 10 years ago, and I've been too
"distracted" to replace it. But otherwise it is a very good system.

Platebanger wrote:
Hi Folks, I would like to put a water sensor in a dry well that would
indicate if there's water in the well. There would be either an audio or
visual warning light or sound. Does anyone know of any products available?

Thanks
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

there is a $10 audible water alarm at home depot with also low battery
alert, it uses 2 contacts and a 9v battery.

Actually the one I got 10 or 20 years ago requires one to move a
switch to "test" to test the battery. They didn't have cheap
low-battery alerts in those days. Even fancy things barely had them.
(Maybe really fancy things had them, like thousand dollar video
cameras. Electronic stuff quickly gets cheaper.)