Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas water heater question

Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from
the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Your on line, right? Damn dude...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...heaters%2Bwork

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q!
When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't seen
one....
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"-zero" wrote in message

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from
the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Your on line, right? Damn dude...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...heaters%2Bwork

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q!

Your supposed to click a link and investigate,
stay and read a while. ;o)

When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't
seen one....

Ahhhh,,, you've never investigated a GAS water heater then.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/water-heater1.htm

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "-zero" wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q!

Your supposed to click a link and investigate,
stay and read a while. ;o)

When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't
seen one....

Ahhhh,,, you've never investigated a GAS water heater then.

Apparently, you haven't either, as it seems you'd rather make smarta$$ remarks
than to answer the question (or even post links to sites that answer it).

Like this one...
http://home.howstuffworks.com/water-heater1.htm

Yes, I went there. No, it doesn't show a 3" tube from the bottom to the top.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
What you're describing sounds like a flame guard system.

No idea what it is. The tube is about 180 from the gas control. Comes out
the bottom of the heater where the gas burner is, travels up the rear of the
tank, then merges into a flat stamped steel assembly that takes it to the
flue. The tube is painted white, so it doesn't get hot. Unless it's double
walled?? Before I posted here, -zero, I searched the web and found nothing.
Apparently you thought the tube was inside the heater and I have X-Ray
vision

Al

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from

the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zero musta been lookin w/ the astigmatic bad eye.
Hey zero, try the good eye next time.
moron.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "-zero"
wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in
message ...
Damn dude, ahm online but yer link still don't answer the Q!

Your supposed to click a link and investigate,
stay and read a while. ;o)

When have YOU seen a 3" tube from the bottom to the top?? I sure ain't
seen one....

Ahhhh,,, you've never investigated a GAS water heater then.

Apparently, you haven't either, as it seems you'd rather make smarta$$
remarks
than to answer the question (or even post links to sites that answer it).

Like this one...
http://home.howstuffworks.com/water-heater1.htm

Yes, I went there. No, it doesn't show a 3" tube from the bottom to the
top.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from
the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

It should be a Direct Vent Balance Flue design, something like this one

http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp...FN040&ln=RGBF#

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message
No idea what it is. The tube is about 180 from the gas control. Comes out
the bottom of the heater where the gas burner is, travels up the rear of
the
tank, then merges into a flat stamped steel assembly that takes it to the
flue. The tube is painted white, so it doesn't get hot. Unless it's double
walled?? Before I posted here, -zero, I searched the web and found
nothing.
Apparently you thought the tube was inside the heater and I have X-Ray
vision

Sorry Big Al, I walked right over the "across the top" part.
A conventional 30 gallon gas Hot Water Heater HAS a 3" tube through the
heater
from the bottom through the top, and serves as the vent. Again, my bad.
After reading what I posted it does read quite assholeish. I WAS grinning
when
I wrote it. I should have put a smiley. 8-(

-zero

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going
from

the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
What you're describing sounds like a flame guard system.

No idea what it is. The tube is about 180 from the gas control. Comes out
the bottom of the heater where the gas burner is, travels up the rear of
the
tank, then merges into a flat stamped steel assembly that takes it to the
flue. The tube is painted white, so it doesn't get hot. Unless it's double
walled?? Before I posted here, -zero, I searched the web and found
nothing.
Apparently you thought the tube was inside the heater and I have X-Ray
vision

No not X-ray. Try this.
http://www.americanwaterheater.com/W...Line/lpg72.pdf

Does it look like this?

Al

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going
from

the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
What's the purpose of this design?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"jolt" wrote in message
. ..

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from
the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

It should be a Direct Vent Balance Flue design, something like this one

http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp...FN040&ln=RGBF#

Pulls outdoor air so it could be used in tight areas or where air quality
(flammable or corrosive) is a concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
What you're describing sounds like a flame guard system.

No idea what it is. The tube is about 180 from the gas control. Comes

out
the bottom of the heater where the gas burner is, travels up the rear of
the
tank, then merges into a flat stamped steel assembly that takes it to

the
flue. The tube is painted white, so it doesn't get hot. Unless it's

double
walled?? Before I posted here, -zero, I searched the web and found
nothing.
Apparently you thought the tube was inside the heater and I have X-Ray
vision

No not X-ray. Try this.
http://www.americanwaterheater.com/W...Line/lpg72.pdf

Does it look like this?

All except for the top and the blower. His has no blower. I called him to
see if he could find a brand name on it, but he's in California on
vacation

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jolt" wrote in message
. ..

"Big Al" wrote in message
Was at a friend's house. His water heater has about a 3" tube going from
the
bottom to the top. It goes across the top to the vent. Seems like it
connects the burner to the vent pipe. The heater looks new. What is it?

Al

It should be a Direct Vent Balance Flue design, something like this one

http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp...FN040&ln=RGBF#

This is it. At least as far as I remember it. Thanks.

Al