Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help with bath fixtures

I'm remodeling the bathroom. I'm to the point where I'm replacing the
bathtub faucet. Never done this before so it's a bit new to me.

I've ordered the new bath fixtures and they'll be here in a couple
days, so I'm not sure what parts are all included yet.

I'm dismantling the old fixtures, but I can't figure out how to get the
entire faucet/valve set off. Please take a look at these photos:

http://emdee.ath.cx/bath/bath.html

I removed everything that I could, but those shiny brass ends won't
screw off and don't appear to be soldered on either, I don't think.

Looking closely at the picture, it looks like the entire thing might be
cast out of brass and is one piece?

Does this mean I have to replace the entire, er, whatever it's
called--the piece that includes the two water control knobs and the
shower/bath diverter valve?

I was thinking that I could keep that piece in there without having to
replace it, but it appears the whole thing is part of the fixture? Does
this mean I'll get another one when the new kit arrives?

Thanks much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Depends on what you've ordered. The brass thing is one piece I
believe. What you purchased may include that. In that case, I
recommend giving serious thought to hiring a plumber to take care of
it, if you can find one that will do it hourly instead of charging you
$300 for 40 minutes work like they do around here.

Pardon the editorial !

Also, make darn sure when you put the tub unit back together to
seal/caulk the thing as you have nothing behind it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The 2 shiney brass things with 6 sides are union nuts.
They *might* be loosened with a great big wrench,
plus another wrench to hold the fixture.

OTOH, it will be far easier to just cut the pipe(s).

But you're screwed. See the scorched wood above the
center of the fixture? That's where the guy had to get
a torch in to make the last connection to the shower
riser :-(

And, yes, that is one monster brass casting.
If you ordered a 3-handle shower/tub faucet
it will likely look about like this one.

There are some ways to do this, but I think you
may just be out of your league.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Here is a web page that describes how to do it
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/b...b1/moen_p1.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Here are the installation instructions that come with a new Moen valve
http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instr...ts/INS129A.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

You guys are great. Thank you very much.

I have some experience with sweating in solder joints, so if it's just
a matter of doing that, cutting and cleaning copper pipe, making sure
everything is plumb, I think I can handle the job without calling in a
plumber. Well, we'll see, at any rate! :-)

Thanks again, all who responded.

Time To Install A Replacement Bath Stuart UK diy 12 October 25th 06 11:45 AM
Bath and Shower Sharing Waster Connection? Dermot Carroll UK diy 5 May 22nd 06 04:40 PM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM