Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help in troubleshooting a leaky window

This summer, we hired a company to re-roof our home. We have a bay
kitchen window and a bow window in the back, and a small area above them
that the roofers re-shingled and re-flashed.

Last night, we had a windy storm blow through. The bow and bay window
both dripped water inside. About a 1/4-1/2 cup of water dripped inside
(a few drops at a time over the course of several hours), from the very
top of the window trim frame (this trim sits above the windows). I know
this is hard to explain with words, so I posted pictures as well:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/stevew7/

There were no water leaks from the windows themselves, just the trim
above the windows. I also posted an older picture of how the flashing
looked before the roofers re-did the area above the windows, and you can
see at least over the kitchen, there were no exposed tins and some sort
of flashing above the siding. This spring and summer, we had nastier
storms with more rain and stronger wind, and these windows never leaked.

So, can anyone provide any advice? Did the roofers not flash around
these windows correctly? Or do you think the windows developed a
defect? Because these windows were fine this summer before the new roof
job, I'm inclined to believe the roofers didn't flash around the windows
correctly. Should the silver tins be exposed like they are? Any help
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve

PS - remove the nospam in my email address to reply via email. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

in buffalo ny we need drip edge.
look at (missing) drip edge:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...193154,00.html
and
http://www.rollex.com/pdf/dripedge.pdf
but further proper caulking may be needed. or improved flashing at the
upper part of the bay shingles. remember dripping water does not
necessarily arrive from directly overhead, it may travel some distance
from the where the outside wall meets the new shingles and follow an
indoor piece of wood to get to the window trim where you finally see
it.

stevew7 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stevew7" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The flashing should be OVER the asphalt shingles, NOT under them! Think
about where the water is going to go the way they installed it once it hits
the flashing......it's going under the shingles. You then sometimes need to
use a sealant between the flashing and top of shingles if in a high wind
area. Not normally needed tho if flashed with the proper 3 in overhang.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stevew7 wrote:

[...]

I'd say bad flashing, at least in the kitchen window, the other'looks'
good.

To truly do flashing right, it has to go on before the siding, so it may
not be all the new roofers doing.