Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Adding fan only to Hot air heating system.

Hi we have a oil fired hot air system that when you turn up the
thermostat the heat blows thru the vents. What I would like to do is
replace the existing thermostat with one that has a fan only setting as
well.
Is the wiring for this complicated ? Are there any diagrams available
?

Thanks

Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

Hi we have a oil fired hot air system that when you turn up the
thermostat the heat blows thru the vents. What I would like to do is
replace the existing thermostat with one that has a fan only setting as
well.
Is the wiring for this complicated ? Are there any diagrams available
?

Thanks

Ed

Unless the furnace already has a Fan relay (24V relay),
you can't do it without substantial re-wiring of the
furnace controls.

If it was built as "ready for air conditioning"
it will have a relay. Check the diagram on the unit.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can be.

I don't know.

Many heat only furnace switch the fan with a fan limit switch. You may
need to put in an auxiliary relay. I did a system one time, we added
AC to a house with a heat only furnace. I had to do some rewiring to
get the fan to come on with the AC.

Since you have to ask the question, you probably don't presently ahve
the skills.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.