Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat roof options

I have an old garage building with a flat roof made of concrete. It
leaks a little bit. On part of it there is an asphalt coating and on
some parts you can see the bare concrete. It is structurally sound.

I've talked at times to several roofers to see what should be done.

One roofer suggested a rubber roofing but that is a pretty big deal and
expensive and I'd think overkill.

The simplest and cheapest solution is just a coating of some sort which
is what I'd like to do. What kind of experience/experience to people
have with this? And are there some recommendations on types of coating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John W Gintell wrote:
I have an old garage building with a flat roof made of concrete. It
leaks a little bit. On part of it there is an asphalt coating and on
some parts you can see the bare concrete. It is structurally sound.

I've talked at times to several roofers to see what should be done.

One roofer suggested a rubber roofing but that is a pretty big deal and
expensive and I'd think overkill.

The simplest and cheapest solution is just a coating of some sort which
is what I'd like to do. What kind of experience/experience to people
have with this? And are there some recommendations on types of coating.

Use an elastomeric coating but do an adhesion test first. Couple of
applications of this product worked well for our garage roof. I think
you can roll it on but we used a sprayer for the sake of time. It's
holding up well. Was available at home dep. when we did it 2 years ago.

GL

Posted to alt.home.repair

John W Gintell wrote:
I have an old garage building with a flat roof made of concrete. It
leaks a little bit. On part of it there is an asphalt coating and on
some parts you can see the bare concrete. It is structurally sound.

I've talked at times to several roofers to see what should be done.

Just put on a new coat of asphalt overtop ... and small stones. Now if
I could just remember what purpose those stones serve ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

bowgus wrote:
John W Gintell wrote:
I have an old garage building with a flat roof made of concrete. It
leaks a little bit. On part of it there is an asphalt coating and on
some parts you can see the bare concrete. It is structurally sound.

I've talked at times to several roofers to see what should be done.

Just put on a new coat of asphalt overtop ... and small stones. Now if
I could just remember what purpose those stones serve ???

Don't use asphalt...there are a ton of great hi-tech roof coatings...
here's one:
http://www.koolseal.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bowgus" wrote in message
ups.com...

John W Gintell wrote:
I have an old garage building with a flat roof made of concrete. It
leaks a little bit. On part of it there is an asphalt coating and on
some parts you can see the bare concrete. It is structurally sound.

I've talked at times to several roofers to see what should be done.

Just put on a new coat of asphalt overtop ... and small stones. Now if
I could just remember what purpose those stones serve ???

Mainly to protect the asphalt from the sun, I think.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just put on a new coat of asphalt overtop ... and small stones. Now if
I could just remember what purpose those stones serve ???

Aha ... I knew this :-) ... "With conventional tar and gravel roofing
the tar is covered with a thin layer of gravel to protect the tar from
the harmful ultra violet rays of the sun. Contrary to popular belief it
is not water and rain that are responsible for the majority of the
damage to roofing products, it's the constant exposure to the sun
which, in the case of your type of roof, rob the tar of solvents which
cause it to become brittle, crack, or blister.

Another popular way to protect a built-up roof from the sun is with the
application of an aluminum coating in lieu of the gravel. However,
according to roofing experts this method doesn't offer the roof the
level of protection from the sun that gravel does. Unlike the gravel,
which will not deteriorate unless eroded by excessive wind and rain,
the aluminum coating will only last five to seven years before an
additional application is required where the conventional tar and
gravel roof should last somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen years.
We suggest that you go with the gravel."

Ref ... http://www.onthehouse.com/qa/37