Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about shingles.

Are 30 year shingles much better than 25 year shingles?

I am having my roof redone. The contractor is an older guy who has
done a lot of work for my mother. He is charging me a very good price
to do my roof. He does good work. I would like him to do more work
for me in the furture.

Basically he was supposed to put on 30 year shingles and started
putting on 25 year shingles instead. It was probably a delivery
mistake. The style is slightly different (old style) than the 30 year
(newer texture style). I like the newer style better but don't really
care. They are the same color.

Where I live (northern NY) we are happy to get 20 years out of a roof.
I don't want to break the guy's balls if there isn't much difference
in the shingles. I was wondering if I should even mention it to him.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

jimbob wrote:
Are 30 year shingles much better than 25 year shingles?

I am having my roof redone. The contractor is an older guy who has
done a lot of work for my mother. He is charging me a very good price
to do my roof. He does good work. I would like him to do more work
for me in the furture.

Basically he was supposed to put on 30 year shingles and started
putting on 25 year shingles instead. It was probably a delivery
mistake. The style is slightly different (old style) than the 30 year
(newer texture style). I like the newer style better but don't really
care. They are the same color.

Where I live (northern NY) we are happy to get 20 years out of a
roof. I don't want to break the guy's balls if there isn't much
difference in the shingles. I was wondering if I should even mention
it to him. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well on average you can expect the 30 years shingles to last a little
longer, but not always. There is a range. I would take a good 25 over a
not so good 30 any day.

I would say if you are happy with the looks and if you get the
difference in cost taken off the price, and he has a far amount already in
place, I would not worry about it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, he just said a 30 year shingle and didn't specify. I was
looking at the Owen's Corning Oakridge 30 (architectural style) he
ended up getting the Supreme 25 which is a lower end shingle. He may
have had to go with the cheaper shingle to get his price. He is
charging me $2500 to strip the roof/reshingle and reflash it, which I
found very reasonable.

I will politely ask him. Maybe he didn't make a mistake after all. He
is old school and may not like architectural shingles.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jimbob" wrote in message
oups.com...
He is
charging me $2500 to strip the roof/reshingle and reflash it, which I
found very reasonable.

You can't get a dog house re-roofed for that money. He may have made an
error, but you still got a good deal.