Junior Member

Default hot/cold pipe identification for new shower

I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower 2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the pipes and letting the water fly??

Thanks!
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

ashroyer wrote:
I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

Thanks!
Andy

Hmmmm. Have someone bang on each with a hammer
whilst you listen at some junction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
ashroyer

you could put on a saddle valve(like you tap for a refrigerator water
line)and let the water run through it to see if it is hot or cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

You're gonna have to uncap the pipes to hook up the new valve. Can't you
decide then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

Turn off the water to the water heater. Turn off the main water
supply to the house. Uncap one pipe. Turn on the house water
slightly. If water comes out the pipe, that is the cold. If not, it is
the hot.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

ashroyer wrote:
I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

Thanks!
Andy

--
ashroyer

Isn't the hot usually on the left? cold on the right?

but I have been to a couple hotels where the bathroom faucets worked
opposite to that.....

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

You just look where you wrote on them with the magic marker.

Run the hot water in the nearest room that has hot water. It may warm the
pipe enough that you can feel a difference between the two. If you followed
normal conventions, the pipe on the left facing the point of use is the hot.

Junior Member

Thanks a lot for all the great tips!

I ran the hot water tap closest to the pipe for awhile to get it nice and hot. I then turned off the main water line and drained the pipes (to get the layer of room temperature water out of the pipes). I then turned it pack on, theoretically filling the pipe with fresh hot water.

It worked, I was able to feel the temperature difference in the two pipes.

Now I just have to install the valve, hang the sheetrock, buy the tile....
Posted to alt.home.repair

ashroyer wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the great tips!

I ran the hot water tap closest to the pipe for awhile to get it nice
and hot. I then turned off the main water line and drained the pipes
(to get the layer of room temperature water out of the pipes). I then
turned it pack on, theoretically filling the pipe with fresh hot
water.

It worked, I was able to feel the temperature difference in the two
pipes.

Now I just have to install the valve, hang the sheetrock, buy the
tile....

--
ashroyer

btw....was it on the right or the left?