Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default hot/cold pipe identification for new shower

"ashroyer" wrote in message

I'm totally re-doing my bathroom and shower. I tore out the old shower
2 months ago, re-routed the plumbing, and capped off the pipes. At this
point I am ready to install my new shower mixing valve but I don't know
which pipe is hot and which is cold.

Are there any tricks to identify which is which short of uncapping the
pipes and letting the water fly??

Turn off the water to the water heater. Turn off the main water
supply to the house. Uncap one pipe. Turn on the house water
slightly. If water comes out the pipe, that is the cold. If not, it is
the hot.

Bob