Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What wood to use for exterior trim replacement?

I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

I'd ask some other questions first--
What was used originally? My first inclination is to go back on any
structure that old.
What part of the country are you in?
What is the weather exposure of the pieces and any particular
pieces/areas?

In general, while it undoubtedly wasn't what was used before, cypress
is excellent, as is fir. Much white pine from years ago lasted a long
time w/ proper maintenance. More recently, other pines/"white woods"
are probably the most prevalent. For painting, cedar is not a good
choice.

Depending on the locations and types, you might even consider the newer
non-wood replacements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

Thanks

The best wood is what you can afford.

Here are some options:
Azek wood is the PVC material that will last indefinetlhy.
Usage - same as wood, MUST be glued between joints.

Redwood (if you can find REAL redwood not sap wood (white))
Soft wood, holds up well, easy to work with.

Cedar Might be easier or difficult to find in some areas. Somewhat
knotty. Paints wells
Soft wood and easy to work with..

Fur/pine that is pre-primed on all sides. Most likely used on your
house. Most command wood used today in new construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:42:47 GMT, blueman wrote:

I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

Depends on what you mean by "trim". If it's featureless 1x planks,
then I'd use douglas fir. If it needs to be machined into a
complex profile, maybe something like beech.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

I'd ask some other questions first--
What was used originally? My first inclination is to go back on any
structure that old.

Not sure. I find it hard enough to identify new wood, let alone 100+
year old wood.

What part of the country are you in?

Massachusetts

What is the weather exposure of the pieces and any particular
pieces/areas?

Varies. But assume that it is exposed to the full force of winter.

In general, while it undoubtedly wasn't what was used before, cypress
is excellent, as is fir. Much white pine from years ago lasted a long
time w/ proper maintenance. More recently, other pines/"white woods"
are probably the most prevalent. For painting, cedar is not a good
choice.

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

Depending on the locations and types, you might even consider the newer
non-wood replacements.

Would prefer not to given the "historic" nature of the house and my
own snobbery for wood

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

You won't easily find cypress except in a couple of specialty suppliers
like Downes & Reader in Stoughton.

Plain old pine boards is good if you keep it painted. Cypress, cedar, and a
few others will hold up with no protection. If the paint job is good, the
wood will never see any weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

blueman wrote:
"dpb" writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

What was used originally? ...

Not sure. I find it hard enough to identify new wood, let alone 100+
year old wood.

Take a piece to the lumberyard (not a box store) and ask. Would help
to find a relatively solid piece and cut it, of course. Inside the
weathered it will still show grain/color, etc., and shouldn't be hard
to identify. If it's a pine, it may even still have a slight residual
odor.

Is it hard, soft, in-between? Does it have knots, straight closed or
open grain, etc., etc. All are indications.

What part of the country are you in?

Massachusetts

Don't know what would have been the most likely by experience, but from
I know of the area, I'd say it mostly likely would have been white
pine. Excellent choice, now almost unobtainable here (W KS) except on
special order. There, probably still available at a "real" lumberyard,
no idea about what the box stores carry there...

What is the weather exposure of the pieces and any particular
pieces/areas?

Varies. But assume that it is exposed to the full force of winter.

In general, while it undoubtedly wasn't what was used before, cypress
is excellent, as is fir. Much white pine from years ago lasted a long
time w/ proper maintenance. More recently, other pines/"white woods"
are probably the most prevalent. For painting, cedar is not a good
choice.

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

Doug fir is excellent for weather and paints well. Is harder than
pine, but more "splintery". Here at least, much easier to obtain in
decent quality.

"Standard" 1x pine at the run-of-the-mill yards here will be pretty
sorry stuff -- full of knots, wane, split ends, etc. It would be #2 at
best and not (imo) at all suitable for trim work. #1 pine or clear
will be available from a good yard, undoubtedly, but I have no idea
what it would cost there -- probably less than here owing to proximity.

Depending on the locations and types, you might even consider the newer
non-wood replacements.

Would prefer not to given the "historic" nature of the house and my
own snobbery for wood

I'd go that way too, just thought I'd mention it as an alternative.
Given that unless $$ are really constrained, I'd try to go for the
white pine, but I'd surely want to either select boards or buy graded,
not just common stock unless you have far better yards available to
choose from than here -- which you may well, being in (I presume) a
fairly high population area.

OBTW, some may try to push finger-jointed clear trim -- stay away from
it for exterior use is my recommendation even though some will say it
is ok, I've never had any that didn't fail at the joints in fairly
short time...

HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In general, while it undoubtedly wasn't what was used before, cypress
is excellent, as is fir. Much white pine from years ago lasted a long
time w/ proper maintenance. More recently, other pines/"white woods"
are probably the most prevalent. For painting, cedar is not a good
choice.

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

For more than you ever wanted to know,

The USDA WOOD handbook is available online at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

(Your government dollars at work)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:38:21 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

You won't easily find cypress except in a couple of specialty suppliers
like Downes & Reader in Stoughton.

Plain old pine boards is good if you keep it painted. Cypress, cedar, and a
few others will hold up with no protection. If the paint job is good, the
wood will never see any weather.

But it will shrink, unless you buy kiln-dried, or aged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" writes:

blueman wrote:
"dpb" writes:
blueman wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... even the "good" lumber yards close in to the city seem to have
limited variety. But maybe I am missing something.

I will see about white pine, but if that is not available I'll look at
the doug fir.

Thanks (2)

Posted to alt.home.repair

\
The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

Thanks

Azek [plastic] facia etc get so much water you can never keep paint on
em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:46:22 GMT, yourname wrote:

blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.
\
The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace

rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for

PT
lumber).

Thanks

Azek [plastic] facia etc get so much water you can never keep paint

on
em.

What the heck are you talking about... how can PVC take one water to
effect paint adheresion? Please explain.

-Lee