Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sailors10@gmail.com is offline

Default What wood to use for exterior trim replacement?

blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

Thanks

The best wood is what you can afford.

Here are some options:
Azek wood is the PVC material that will last indefinetlhy.
Usage - same as wood, MUST be glued between joints.

Redwood (if you can find REAL redwood not sap wood (white))
Soft wood, holds up well, easy to work with.

Cedar Might be easier or difficult to find in some areas. Somewhat
knotty. Paints wells
Soft wood and easy to work with..

Fur/pine that is pre-primed on all sides. Most likely used on your
house. Most command wood used today in new construction.