Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default What wood to use for exterior trim replacement?

"dpb" writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to replace some exterior wood trim on our 150 year old
Italianate home.

The wood will be painted.

What is the best good quality (but affordable) wood to replace rotted
portions of trim?
(The areas are not in direct ground contact so I am not looking for PT
lumber).

I'd ask some other questions first--
What was used originally? My first inclination is to go back on any
structure that old.

Not sure. I find it hard enough to identify new wood, let alone 100+
year old wood.

What part of the country are you in?

Massachusetts

What is the weather exposure of the pieces and any particular
pieces/areas?

Varies. But assume that it is exposed to the full force of winter.

In general, while it undoubtedly wasn't what was used before, cypress
is excellent, as is fir. Much white pine from years ago lasted a long
time w/ proper maintenance. More recently, other pines/"white woods"
are probably the most prevalent. For painting, cedar is not a good
choice.

So, is the standard pine 1-by-x that you find at a regular lumber yard any
good, or is it worthwhile to seek out (and pay for) cypress or fir? (I
know its prevalent... but is it any good)

Depending on the locations and types, you might even consider the newer
non-wood replacements.

Would prefer not to given the "historic" nature of the house and my
own snobbery for wood