Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default looking to buy a piece of brass screen or substitute

I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in
a kitchen faucet aerator except a little bigger. Say 1 inch by 1 inch
or 1 x 1.5. Although I would gladly buy a piece twice as big, to have
for a spare, or even bigger. Where do you think I coudl find this for
sale?**

**They don't have it at Pep Boys, NAPA auto parts, Home Depot, R.E.
Michel and according to the internet, Lowes. Nor did the plumbing
supply house I called have it, and he volunteered that he couldn't
think of a place to recommend. I'd have called more places but it was
5PM on Friday.

I need this to make a replacement for the screen that is meant to keep
rust pieces from entering the petcock on my '69 Honda CB450
motorcycle. I think it would be easy enough to sew, with copper wire,
the screen into a tube closed on one end, and then glue that to the
reserve intake hole.

So this is meant to be immersed in gasoline almost all the time,
except when I'm down to the last half gallon in the tank, when it will
be exposed to the air.

Is brass screen the only thing that would work?

If I can't find brass, what about steel screen?? I think I found a
screen, maybe with holes a little bit too big, but pretty good, that
was meant to be inserted in a sink to keep crud from going down the
drain. It was 3 or 4 dollars and I could take it apart.

What about aluminum screen?? Again, the holes are a little too big,
but it would be verrry easy to get. Will it dissolve in gasoline
after a couple years? I can't think of any part of any other fuel
system that is made out of aluminum.

I looked under "metals" in YP.yahoo.com and found a bunch of companies
with good names, but no easy way to tell who had brass and who had
screening, and if anyone had brass screen.

What about fireplace screens? Is the screen part made out of brass,
or only the fame, and if it is, are there any with small holes?
(There is a real big fireplace store here that probably has parts of
old screens around.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..
Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Tried any hobby shop? Like model airplane, RC cars, rail road?
Or glass/window shop?
Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in
a kitchen faucet aerator except a little bigger. Say 1 inch by 1 inch
or 1 x 1.5. Although I would gladly buy a piece twice as big, to have
for a spare, or even bigger. Where do you think I coudl find this for
sale?**

Mcmaster Carr under "woven wire cloth" - stainless discs- 55 thou
weave- 6 dollars part #9317T115 Pat

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Where do you think I coudl find this for
sale?

mscdirect.com
mcmaster.com

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:59:16 -0400, mm
wrote:

I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in
a kitchen faucet aerator except a little bigger. Say 1 inch by 1 inch
or 1 x 1.5. Although I would gladly buy a piece twice as big, to have
for a spare, or even bigger. Where do you think I coudl find this for
sale?**

snip

www.smallparts.com

Good place for small quantities of hard to find stuff. A bit pricey,
but if you gotta have it....

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:59:16 -0400, mm

I need this to make a replacement for the screen that is meant to keep
rust pieces from entering the petcock on my '69 Honda CB450
motorcycle....

Your gas tank is rusting on the inside? Why not fix the cause rather
than try to prevent the results?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...rID=353&KICKER

10166 Z Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cycles $33.99
Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I have some bronze screen I could send you. Window bug screens were made
from bronze in travel trailers up until the early 50's.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

[...]

Tried a Head shop? And I don't mean cylinder head. I mean brass screens
for brass smoking pipes. Well they had 'em 35 years ago anyway...

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
mm wrote in
:

[...]

They probably still do, because I heard the maintenance guy in our
building complaining that the aerators on faucets throughout the place
were periodically stolen so that the screens in them could be used in
homemade bongs.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

In some auto parts stores I've a screens for use as a filter for Jerry
Cans, whereever they sell spare Jerry Can nozz;es etc. It's about i-1/2
- 2" dia.
Bg

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in
a kitchen ......

Why don't you try bikebandit.com or a Honda dealer and get the OEM
part to replace it?

Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

Bike Guy Joe wrote:
mm wrote:

I'm looking to buy a small piece of brass screen. Like the screen in
a kitchen ......

Why don't you try bikebandit.com or a Honda dealer and get the OEM
part to replace it?

I'm thinking if that doesn't work, a GOOD hobby shop or art supply store
catering to model builders might have it, alternately, a *gasp* head
shop might have some as well.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.motorcycles,alt.home.repair

I'm thinking if that doesn't work, a GOOD hobby shop or art supply store
catering to model builders might have it, alternately, a *gasp* head
shop might have some as well.

nate

I don't think the kind you buy at a headshop will be big enough.