Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Made a mistake

My first time constructing a Recroom. I guess I can't get everything right
the first time.

Anyway, I got the wiring done and proceded onto the Vapor Barrier and
Gyproc. Got halfway done the walls with Gyproc and realized I forgot to
pull the wire for the heater though the vapor Barrier and gyproc!! I really
don't want to ruin a sheet of gyproc to get it out.

What are my options? I kinda remember where it is, it's either in one 16"
length or the one next to it. Can I use that current detector to find it
through the gyproc then cut a small hole to pull it out? I don't have one
buy I could get a loan of my friends.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
My first time constructing a Recroom. I guess I can't get everything right
the first time.

Anyway, I got the wiring done and proceded onto the Vapor Barrier and
Gyproc. Got halfway done the walls with Gyproc and realized I forgot to
pull the wire for the heater though the vapor Barrier and gyproc!! I really
don't want to ruin a sheet of gyproc to get it out.

What are my options? I kinda remember where it is, it's either in one 16"
length or the one next to it. Can I use that current detector to find it
through the gyproc then cut a small hole to pull it out? I don't have one
buy I could get a loan of my friends.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi,
How can you detect current if the wire is not alive yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
snip
Hi,
How can you detect current if the wire is not alive yet?

Simple. The data cablers do it all the time with a tone
generator and listener.
http://www.lanshack.com/CableTracker...Q9m 5TfQpSHCy

....thehick

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
My first time constructing a Recroom. I guess I can't get everything right
the first time.

Anyway, I got the wiring done and proceded onto the Vapor Barrier and
Gyproc. Got halfway done the walls with Gyproc and realized I forgot to
pull the wire for the heater though the vapor Barrier and gyproc!! I really
don't want to ruin a sheet of gyproc to get it out.

What are my options? I kinda remember where it is, it's either in one 16"
length or the one next to it. Can I use that current detector to find it
through the gyproc then cut a small hole to pull it out? I don't have one
buy I could get a loan of my friends.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Steve

Waste the 'rock. You are talking about less than $10 (been a long
while since I bought any). It doesn't even have to be the full sheet.
Or just cut a good sized hole where you need it. Patching a big hole
isn't much more work than patching a small one.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Waste the 'rock. You are talking about less than $10 (been a long
while since I bought any). It doesn't even have to be the full sheet.
Or just cut a good sized hole where you need it. Patching a big hole
isn't much more work than patching a small one.

Along those lines...if you use a keyhole saw and angled the handle
outwards, away from the hole, as you cut, the resulting piece will form
a plug for the hole. In other words you can smear some joint compound
on the edges put the cutout piece back in place and tape the edges. No
blocking or additional cutting needed and it doesn't matter what shape
you cut out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Been there, done that. If you installed your drywall with screws, just back
them out, drop the panel, find your cable and cut an opening for it. This is
one of the reasons you should always use screws. If you went and used nails,
well I have taken nails out as well. You need a nail puller to get under the
nail head, then pry the nail out by sliding a putty knife blade behind the
nail puller to avoid crushing the drywall. Once loosened you can use a claw
hammer to finish extracting the nail. This does more damage to the sheet
than screws, but it can all be fixed with mud. Don't bother putting
replacement nails or screws in the same holes, put them in new locations.

"SteveC" wrote in message
My first time constructing a Recroom. I guess I can't get everything
right the first time.

Anyway, I got the wiring done and proceded onto the Vapor Barrier and
Gyproc. Got halfway done the walls with Gyproc and realized I forgot to
pull the wire for the heater though the vapor Barrier and gyproc!! I
really don't want to ruin a sheet of gyproc to get it out.

What are my options? I kinda remember where it is, it's either in one 16"
length or the one next to it. Can I use that current detector to find it
through the gyproc then cut a small hole to pull it out? I don't have one
buy I could get a loan of my friends.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

thehick wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
snip

Hi,
How can you detect current if the wire is not alive yet?

Simple. The data cablers do it all the time with a tone
generator and listener.
http://www.lanshack.com/CableTracker...Q9m 5TfQpSHCy

...thehick

Hi,
Of course. I have a tone generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all your help, I just cut a rectangle around where I thought it
was, got it the second time around!! LOL

Then I just made the hole and then screwed it back in. Then when I get it
plastered, it can be fixed no problem.

Thanks all.

--
Steve