Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bath Paint OK for Front Door?

I had a new entry door installed on the front of my house last winter
and have not gotten around to painting the outside yet. It is a basic
steel entry door, faces north on a covered porch, no direct sun, storm
door in front, rarely if ever gets hit by rain, southeast Michigan. I
just finished painting the bathroom ceiling with Lowes American
Tradition Kitchen and Bath semi-gloss white and have a half quart left
over. Would this hold up on the front door application? I'm not
worried about moisture as the bathroom ceiling will see much more than
the front door ever will. The cold winter would be my concern. I
would really like to avoid adding another 1/2 quart of paint to my ever
growing basement collection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interior paint is typically not suitable for exterior use.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a new entry door installed on the front of my house last winter
and have not gotten around to painting the outside yet. It is a basic
steel entry door, faces north on a covered porch, no direct sun, storm
door in front, rarely if ever gets hit by rain, southeast Michigan. I
just finished painting the bathroom ceiling with Lowes American
Tradition Kitchen and Bath semi-gloss white and have a half quart left
over. Would this hold up on the front door application? I'm not
worried about moisture as the bathroom ceiling will see much more than
the front door ever will. The cold winter would be my concern. I
would really like to avoid adding another 1/2 quart of paint to my ever
growing basement collection.

I'd do a bit of research into the idea of spraying the door. Obviously,
there are some minor logistical issues involved, but not much different than
trying to paint the door when temps are chilly. Did it come with the usual
grey primer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's latex paint I would not use it on an exterior door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
If it's latex paint I would not use it on an exterior door.

Right. I wasn't clear about that. I'd go out and buy spray paint of the
proper type. It's not all the time that you have a chance to move an object
to just the right place for painting, and take your time doing it. He could
end up with a really nice finish. The only issue would be the weather. He'd
have to start really early in the day so the paint goes through one drying
cycle before he's got to install it again before bedtime. Or, build a
temporary door out of plywood. Or...wait until spring.