Junior Member

Default Oven Problems

I have a Whirlpool flat top electric range. When pre-heating the oven, it beeps before the temp I selected is reached. I have a thermometer in the oven and it does reach the temp I set it for.
Could this be a problem that will get worse in the future, possibly creating another problem down the road?

Rich
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pshaw, on Thu 26 Oct 2006 03:47:14p, Rich Z meant to say...

I have a Whirlpool flat top electric range. When pre-heating the oven,
it beeps before the temp I selected is reached. I have a thermometer in
the oven and it does reach the temp I set it for.
Could this be a problem that will get worse in the future, possibly
creating another problem down the road?

Most Whirlpool ranges use both the broiling and baking elements at full
power to preheat the oven, as well as in differing percentages to maintain
the baking temperature. I think you'll find what's happening is that the
broiling element is much closer to the thermostat sensor and indicates that
the temperature has been reached before the position of the thermometer
you've placed on one of the racks. I doubt seriously if the "problem" will
become worse.

I don't know how long your oven takes to show that the temperature has been
reached; however, I have always allowed the oven to preheat at last 20
minutes or more before actually baking something. This additional time
gives the oven a chance to stablize the temperature throughout the entire
oven cavity.

having said that, it's really only important to have the absolute preheated
temperature correct when baking things with leavening agents, be it yeast,
baking power, or baking soda. In most cases, meats, potatoes, etc., can
actually be put into a cold oven and the results will be just as good as if
the oven had been preheated.

--
Wayne Boatwright

If at first you do succeed -- try to hide your
astonishment.