Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Whilst falling back this weekend

In article , gwb3483
@eatel.net says...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:55:26 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Then you could have GONE TO BED EARLIER! It's no reason to mess with
everybody's clocks.

I don't wanna.
Reset yer clock and quit whining. G

Zactly! ;-)

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:01:55 -0400, krw wrote:

In article , gwb3483
says...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:16:03 -0400, krw wrote:

There is a benefit. In the summer it's not light at 3:00AM.

Where do you live, Norway?

Vermont.

Close enough. BG
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:01:56 -0400, krw wrote:

In article , gwb3483
says...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:18:54 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26 Oct 2006 18:32:43 -0700, "
wrote:

Back in the 70s energy shortage they stayed at DST for a couple years.
Frankly I HATE winter and dark at 5 pm.

What I hate is being too stupid to adapt schedules to reality.

What I hate is whiners. Set the damned clock and shut up, already.

I wish we would stay at DST forever

Everyone with an opinion is a "whiner"?

You must be a Democrat.

Thems fightin words, my friend!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:01:55 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:16:03 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:26:23 -0500, GWB wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:04:14 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:28:34 -0500, GWB wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:15:50 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

don't forget to change the batteries on your smoke/CO alarms.*

Rats! I hate losing DST.

I wish they'd do away with the whole stupid thing (DST), and stop
playing mind games twice a year.

Only if they go with DST all year; I'd rather have it half the time
than not at all.

So you'd rather have the confusion that comes from messing with your
clocks twice a year, for no actual benefit?

There is a benefit. In the summer it's not light at 3:00AM. In
the winter it is light at 7:00AM.

What's different is what you CALL 3:00AM. If you don't like it getting
light while you're in bed, you could always go to bed earlier (and so
get up earlier). That's what you're doing now, just fooling yourself
into thinking otherwise.

Well, I'm not a milk farmer, as apparently you are. Where I live
businesses run by clocks. Transportation runs by the clock. Work
is done by the clock. Perhaps you should simply throw away your
clocks if you don't use time. The railroads found standardized
time to be quite useful though. DST is simply a method of trying
to alight artificial time to natural.

That really reminds me of a story I read in school, about a poor woman
preparing for winter. She found that her blanket was too short, and
couldn't afford a new one. She sewed some material on one end, getting
that material by cutting it off the other end. She could never figure
out why the blanket was still too short, no matter how much material
she sewed on.

DST is like that woman. There's no way to improve one end (sunrise or
sunset) without making the other worse by the same amount. The period
of daylight is changing in length no matter what self-delusions people
impose.

Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just
that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial
construct, and has no reality beyond human society (which is an
EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it
doesn't do.

Both are useful.

Why do you think you're changing the Earth's axial tilt by resetting
your clock? Apparently, you think writing "home" on a map of Australia
is equivalent to moving there. It makes as much sense as this DST
junk.

Nope, just moving artificial time zones to be more useful WRT Sol.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world
around them.

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

There is VERY LITTLE difference between "DST all the time", amid "no
DST at all".

Bull****. You apparently confuse easily.

The problem is that I did NOT get confused by this DST nonsense, and
you are unable to tell the difference.

Nope, you get confused setting clocks. You mentioned this in this
thread.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

[...]

Ok, but I like the idea of cutting an hour of light off of 3:00AM
and sewing it on to 8:00PM. I'd do it twice, were I king.

Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just
that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial
construct,

THe *measurement* of time is an artificial construct. So?

and has no reality beyond human society (which is an
EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it
doesn't do.

I don't know about you but "human society" is a fairly important
part of my life.

Both are useful.

Why do you think you're changing the Earth's axial tilt by resetting
your clock? Apparently, you think writing "home" on a map of Australia
is equivalent to moving there. It makes as much sense as this DST
junk.

Nope, just moving artificial time zones to be more useful WRT Sol.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world
around them.

Ok. That isn't important?

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Reminds me of the SNL (IIRC) skit "A mind is a terrible thing".
;-)

snip trailing stuff not responded to

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article , gwb3483
@eatel.net says...
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:01:55 -0400, krw wrote:

In article , gwb3483
says...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:16:03 -0400, krw wrote:

There is a benefit. In the summer it's not light at 3:00AM.

Where do you live, Norway?

Vermont.

Close enough. BG

Closer to Moscow, in many more ways than latitude.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:18:35 -0500, krw wrote:

[snip]

DST is like that woman. There's no way to improve one end (sunrise or
sunset) without making the other worse by the same amount. The period
of daylight is changing in length no matter what self-delusions people
impose.

Ok, but I like the idea of cutting an hour of light off of 3:00AM
and sewing it on to 8:00PM. I'd do it twice, were I king.

Cutting off some and sewing it on the other end actually makes it
SHORTER. Perhaps that's what you want.

Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just
that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial
construct,

THe *measurement* of time is an artificial construct. So?

It's only the nonsense about changing the measurement changing the
thing itself.

I know someone who has trouble with high blood sugar. Some would
really wish that meter had a button on it, that would change it to
normal. :-)

and has no reality beyond human society (which is an
EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it
doesn't do.

I don't know about you but "human society" is a fairly important
part of my life.

Humanity currently occupies a small part of this planet (which it has
only very limited control over), which is itself an extremely small
part of our universe. Human beings have been around for a small part
of the amount of time out universe has existed. Then, how would you
know this universe is the only one?

Both are useful.

Why do you think you're changing the Earth's axial tilt by resetting
your clock? Apparently, you think writing "home" on a map of Australia
is equivalent to moving there. It makes as much sense as this DST
junk.

Nope, just moving artificial time zones to be more useful WRT Sol.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world
around them.

Ok. That isn't important?

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Reminds me of the SNL (IIRC) skit "A mind is a terrible thing".
;-)

It's a comment about the increasing anti-intellectual qualities found
in too many people.

snip trailing stuff not responded to

Could your news program be quoting sigs when it shouldn't?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
lid says...
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:18:35 -0500, krw wrote:

[snip]

DST is like that woman. There's no way to improve one end (sunrise or
sunset) without making the other worse by the same amount. The period
of daylight is changing in length no matter what self-delusions people
impose.

Ok, but I like the idea of cutting an hour of light off of 3:00AM
and sewing it on to 8:00PM. I'd do it twice, were I king.

Cutting off some and sewing it on the other end actually makes it
SHORTER. Perhaps that's what you want.

Depends on the sharpness of the cut and the stitch used. DST uses
very sharp scissors.

Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just
that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial
construct,

THe *measurement* of time is an artificial construct. So?

It's only the nonsense about changing the measurement changing the
thing itself.

It doesn't change time, only our perception of it, which is all
that it was ever designed to do.

I know someone who has trouble with high blood sugar. Some would
really wish that meter had a button on it, that would change it to
normal. :-)

Denial is a powerful thing.

and has no reality beyond human society (which is an
EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it
doesn't do.

I don't know about you but "human society" is a fairly important
part of my life.

Humanity currently occupies a small part of this planet (which it has
only very limited control over), which is itself an extremely small
part of our universe. Human beings have been around for a small part
of the amount of time out universe has existed. Then, how would you
know this universe is the only one?

How much of the "this planet" - "small part" gives a rats ass about
DST? That "small part" does care.

Both are useful.

Why do you think you're changing the Earth's axial tilt by resetting
your clock? Apparently, you think writing "home" on a map of Australia
is equivalent to moving there. It makes as much sense as this DST
junk.

Nope, just moving artificial time zones to be more useful WRT Sol.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world
around them.

Ok. That isn't important?

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Reminds me of the SNL (IIRC) skit "A mind is a terrible thing".
;-)

It's a comment about the increasing anti-intellectual qualities found
in too many people.

....not to mention the look-down-the-nose attitude of the academic
elite.

BTW, the SNL skit was a take-off on the UNCF slogan.

snip trailing stuff not responded to

Could your news program be quoting sigs when it shouldn't?

Nope. You're including stuff at the end that you didn't snip.

Here is what I snipped (you'll note that it did snip your sig):

--
Keith

Airgun plans? Gunner Metalworking 38 April 30th 06 06:19 PM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 05:06 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM