Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Pine Stair Treads

We had carpeted stairs on our back staircase that are pine treads. We
want to remove them and install Oak treads that will not be carpeted.
Are there any tricks to removing the old treads? They seem to be
installed with 9 nails and some liquid nails. When removing the treads
will the risers be ruined and need replacing as well?

Any secrets for installing the new oak treds? We want to make sure
there is no squeeking - is that just a matter or screwing the stairs
into the runners or are there other tips and tricks for this as well?

Any info would be great. thanks.
Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Mikepier" wrote:

Just out of curiousity, have you thought of sanding the pine treads,
then stain them to give an oak look? Thats what I did.

No matter what kind of stain you put on pine, it isn't going to look like oak.

--
Regards,