Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Northstar generator problems - SOLVED

Hello:
I found the solution to a previous thread I started about problems with
my Northstar 8000W generator and wanted to post it. The original post
is included below. The problem turned out to be an issue with the
generator head. Apparently, somehow the shaft of the head was
"charged", and this "charge" would travel from the head into the
engine, and trip the low oil sensor (Honda GX390). The head was
replaced under warranty and everything has been fine ever since. So I
hope this may help in case somebody else runs across this.

Thx,
--
Chris

From: - view profile
Date: Wed, Aug 30 2006 10:21 pm
Email:
Groups: misc.survivalism
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options
original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hello:

I have a question regarding my Northstar 8000 Watt generator (with 13
HP Honda GX390). Recently we had to use this generator extensively and
during that time, the generator quit on us as if we hit the kill switch
on it. Now, I cannot get it to run more than about 5 minutes with any
load on it (even something as small as a fridge and freezer). Without
a load, it seems to run fine without any problems. I've already taken
it to the nearest Honda dealer which replaced the Low Oil Sensor
switch. However it is still doing the same thing after I got it back.
The last test I did was hook up an air compressor to it. The air
compressor motor tried to kick on, however the motor only turned over a
couple times and quit, and the generator shut off at that exact moment
as if I hit the kill switch. I did this test 3 times and got the same
result.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what could be the issue
with this thing? I will be calling Northern Tool to see what the next
step is, but I wanted to see if this group may have more ideas. This
is pretty frustrating.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Best,
--