Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electronic Fluorescent Cold Weather Fixtures

Last winter I purchases four 48" double fixtures and installed them
in my mini barn. I removed the line cords and switches that came with
them and hard wired them in parallel on their own 15 amp circuit. From
day one they were noisy with a pronounced flicker to them. They seem
to alternate from one to the other with almost a strobe effect.
Sometimes they work perfectly and at other times the compressor or
portable heater tends to set them off. Other times they start acting
up on their own.
I am seriously tempted to install my old fixtures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank Z wrote:
Last winter I purchases four 48" double fixtures and installed them
in my mini barn. I removed the line cords and switches that came with
them and hard wired them in parallel on their own 15 amp circuit.
From day one they were noisy with a pronounced flicker to them. They
seem to alternate from one to the other with almost a strobe effect.
Sometimes they work perfectly and at other times the compressor or
portable heater tends to set them off. Other times they start acting
up on their own.
I am seriously tempted to install my old fixtures.

I assume you are saying that the new lamps that are not working well for
you are electronic cold weather fixtures. Remember that while the best
current technology today seems to be electronic, not all electronic systems
are equal. You tend to get what you pay for.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I may ask two simple (and hopefully not insulting) questions: 1)
are these fixtures properly grounded and 2) do you have the correct
tubes installed?

When you say "electronic fluorescent", I'm taking that to mean these
fixtures are equipped with standard electronic ballasts and not high
output (many "cold weather" fixtures are HO, but in this case they
would likely be fitted with magnetic-core ballasts as opposed to
electronic). If it is a standard electronic ballast, any 32-watt T8
(1 inch) lamp should work -- the older 34-watt or 40-watt T12 lamps
should never be used with this type of fixture.

Cheers,
Paul

On 20 Oct 2006 16:48:17 -0700, "Hank Z" wrote:

Last winter I purchases four 48" double fixtures and installed them
in my mini barn. I removed the line cords and switches that came with
them and hard wired them in parallel on their own 15 amp circuit. From
day one they were noisy with a pronounced flicker to them. They seem
to alternate from one to the other with almost a strobe effect.
Sometimes they work perfectly and at other times the compressor or
portable heater tends to set them off. Other times they start acting
up on their own.
I am seriously tempted to install my old fixtures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
If I may ask two simple (and hopefully not insulting) questions: 1)
are these fixtures properly grounded and 2) do you have the correct
tubes installed?

When you say "electronic fluorescent", I'm taking that to mean these
fixtures are equipped with standard electronic ballasts and not high
output (many "cold weather" fixtures are HO, but in this case they
would likely be fitted with magnetic-core ballasts as opposed to
electronic). If it is a standard electronic ballast, any 32-watt T8
(1 inch) lamp should work -- the older 34-watt or 40-watt T12 lamps
should never be used with this type of fixture.

Sorry if this adds enough slop to the pot of stew to cloud things up,
but:

1) There are electronic ballasts for T12 lamps.

2) Now more for counterpoint to 1 - I have heard of a few electronic
ballasts that are supposedly good for both T8 and T12. However, the amp
requirements of T8 and T12 are different enough for high probability of at
least one size being powered not too close to optimum. I suspect that
deviations from optimum would get concentrated towards underpowering and
away from overpowering of the various sizes covered by such
"1-ballast-fits-many-size-lamps" ballasts - meaning that T12 gets
underpowered by such ballasts. Expect such wide-range electronic ballasts
to make T12 lamps run a little to somewhat dim in good conditions, worse
to arguably malfunction with T12 in cold conditions, and to be even worse
with 34 watt T12 ("energy saver T12") than "true 40 watt F40T12" since the
34 watters are "crankier" than "true F40" especially in cold conditions.

I would recommend use of ballasts rated for T8 or T12 but not both and
to use lamps (bulbs) of the size for the ballasts. Of these two sizes, I
prefer T8, which has 4-footers nominally 32 watts. But I would prefer
F40T12 on a F40T12 ballast over almost anything with a ballast that is
supposed to be good for both T8 and T12, especially if supposedly good for
more than one specific quantity of lamps/"bulbs" or more than one length
of lamps/"bulbs".

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would recommend use of ballasts rated for T8 or T12 but not both and
to use lamps (bulbs) of the size for the ballasts. Of these two sizes, I
prefer T8, which has 4-footers nominally 32 watts. But I would prefer
F40T12 on a F40T12 ballast over almost anything with a ballast that is
supposed to be good for both T8 and T12, especially if supposedly good for
more than one specific quantity of lamps/"bulbs" or more than one length
of lamps/"bulbs".

And for another perspective...

Fluorescent lights are usually, by definition, mercury-discharge
lights, (even the compact fluorescents.) The small amount of mercury
in the tube needs to be heated to a vapor in order for the lamp to
work properly. They usually perform poorly in cold weather and badly
in really cold weather. Some fixtures get so cold that they won't
even start. A lot depends on whether the fixture is designed to
retain heat.

I don't believe you said what the application was for, but you might
want to consider switching to incandescent or halogen lamps, if the
power consumption is not an issue (i.e. the lights are left on all
night).

For my outdoor (motion sensitive) security lights, I like the old
fashioned high wattage incandescent floodlights and spotlights.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is some more information: The electronic ballast comes with the
fixture and is Mfg. or distributed by Tri Con Company. Model # 64009
and advertised as all season, 0 F. to 17.7 degrees C. Requires two F8
tubes @ 32 watts supposedly instant on, no hum, and no flicker. Yes,
all four fixtures are grounded properly.

Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the confirming this. I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank at
this point. The only other thing I can suggest is taking the lamps
out, checking and cleaning the pins and contacts, then resetting them
in place making sure they're locked tightly. If you have additional
F32 T8 lamps kicking about I might try swapping them out to see if
this makes any difference.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Paul

On 22 Oct 2006 08:57:17 -0700, "Hank Z" wrote:

Here is some more information: The electronic ballast comes with the
fixture and is Mfg. or distributed by Tri Con Company. Model # 64009
and advertised as all season, 0 F. to 17.7 degrees C. Requires two F8
tubes @ 32 watts supposedly instant on, no hum, and no flicker. Yes,
all four fixtures are grounded properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Hank,

And now, for my best advice so far...

I forgot to mention there is another news group that might be able to
help you out: sci.eng.lighting. The folks that hang out there really
know their stuff and they're pretty friendly to boot. If there's
anyone who can help you with this problem, you'll likely find them
there.