Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank Z Hank Z is offline

Default Electronic Fluorescent Cold Weather Fixtures

Here is some more information: The electronic ballast comes with the
fixture and is Mfg. or distributed by Tri Con Company. Model # 64009
and advertised as all season, 0 F. to 17.7 degrees C. Requires two F8
tubes @ 32 watts supposedly instant on, no hum, and no flicker. Yes,
all four fixtures are grounded properly.

Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
If I may ask two simple (and hopefully not insulting) questions: 1)
are these fixtures properly grounded and 2) do you have the correct
tubes installed?

When you say "electronic fluorescent", I'm taking that to mean these
fixtures are equipped with standard electronic ballasts and not high
output (many "cold weather" fixtures are HO, but in this case they
would likely be fitted with magnetic-core ballasts as opposed to
electronic). If it is a standard electronic ballast, any 32-watt T8
(1 inch) lamp should work -- the older 34-watt or 40-watt T12 lamps
should never be used with this type of fixture.

Cheers,
Paul

On 20 Oct 2006 16:48:17 -0700, "Hank Z" wrote:

Last winter I purchases four 48" double fixtures and installed them
in my mini barn. I removed the line cords and switches that came with
them and hard wired them in parallel on their own 15 amp circuit. From
day one they were noisy with a pronounced flicker to them. They seem
to alternate from one to the other with almost a strobe effect.
Sometimes they work perfectly and at other times the compressor or
portable heater tends to set them off. Other times they start acting
up on their own.
I am seriously tempted to install my old fixtures.