Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

z wrote:
GoHabsGo wrote:
"z" wrote in news:1161374374.783304.97550
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

I've found two sources, generally speaking: Ebay, and online antique
tool sellers. You can guess which one is more affordable. I got one of
the older kind with the knurled steel body, not plastic, to replace my
ancient (plastic) one where I somehow bent the shaft of the thing so it
binds, dammit.

The Stanley company isn't far from here. Maybe if I go picket.....

Oh yeah, the other thing is finding drill bits. The last set I bought
came from Amazon, and turned out to be spiral drill bits with the notch
in the end, rather than the straight fluted kind. Anyway, they broke
real quick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lawrence wrote:
A cirular saw is a must for sure. A jig saw is a close behind however.
If you get a good one (bosch) then it will make many of the same cuts
as a circular saw, believe it. My bosch has no problem plowing through
2 inch lumber. The circular saw is one of the more dangerous tool
there is and many have lost fingers to that tool. the jigsaw is far
less dangerous and though you can hurt yourself you are unlikely to
lose any fingers to one.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay back when, pre-internet, somebody was selling surgical
saws ("bone saws" I think?) to handymen types. You've probably seen
these on the medical shows and/or horror movies, a 6 inch or so
circular blade on the end of a shaft with a motor housing at the other
end. The key is the little gearbox you can notice between the shaft and
the blade, which makes the blade reciprocate instead of spin. So it
cuts through solid material like bone or wood like a whiz, but when it
hits not so solid material like your leg, it just jiggles it back and
forth like a jig saw and you scream and pull the saw back before it
cuts. I haven't really looked hard, but I didn't find anybody who sells
them to private folks anymore.

If you find a source with quantity on hand, I definitely think you should
write the promo material for it. It sounds much better than contrived horror
movies, which bore me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got mine on eBay, following advice gleaned here. Came with a full
set of sharp bits that store in the handle and everything, for $20
including shipping. And, for the record, I LOVE IT. It keeps me from
dragging out my corded drill...oh, probably 75% of the time,
considering the lightweight stuff I do (mostly along the lines of
hanging stuff up). Fits great in the all-purpose junk drawer, too.

Jo Ann

z wrote:
GoHabsGo wrote:
"z" wrote in news:1161374374.783304.97550
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

I've found two sources, generally speaking: Ebay, and online antique
tool sellers. You can guess which one is more affordable. I got one of
the older kind with the knurled steel body, not plastic, to replace my
ancient (plastic) one where I somehow bent the shaft of the thing so it
binds, dammit.

The Stanley company isn't far from here. Maybe if I go picket.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lawrence wrote:
[...]

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Tools/BoneSaw/bonesaw.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lawrence wrote:
[...]

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Tired of trying to fit
bodies into the trunks of compact cars before taking them to the Jersey
swamps?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would get a *good* cordless screwdriver, good cordless drill, and more
powerful corded drill. It can be a hammer drill if you like, but the extra
power comes in very handy when you run into a tough job. For example,
mixing something like joint compound. An angle grinder can come in very
handy for miscellaneous things, as can a reciprocating saw. A circular saw
as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"newsreader" wrote in message
news

Another thing that's real handy to have is an Amprobe tester. Great for
checking volts, amps, Ohms, etc on multiple things around the home & shop.

Yes, but the OP was talking about power tools, so I didn't go there. There
would be many other non-power tools too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lawrence wrote:
[...]

Can't beat good old American iron for fitting the whole family into the
trunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
mike wrote:
Pilot holes are good practice just about any time you use a screw.

Or sometimes for a nail.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

David Combs wrote:

In article .com,
mike wrote:

Pilot holes are good practice just about any time you use a screw.

Or sometimes for a nail.

.... and always for a rivet.

Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM