Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lawrence wrote:
A cirular saw is a must for sure. A jig saw is a close behind
however.
If you get a good one (bosch) then it will make many of the same
cuts
as a circular saw, believe it. My bosch has no problem plowing
through
2 inch lumber. The circular saw is one of the more dangerous tool
there is and many have lost fingers to that tool. the jigsaw is far
less dangerous and though you can hurt yourself you are unlikely to
lose any fingers to one.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay back when, pre-internet, somebody was selling surgical
saws ("bone saws" I think?) to handymen types. You've probably seen
these on the medical shows and/or horror movies, a 6 inch or so
circular blade on the end of a shaft with a motor housing at the other
end. The key is the little gearbox you can notice between the shaft and
the blade, which makes the blade reciprocate instead of spin. So it
cuts through solid material like bone or wood like a whiz, but when it
hits not so solid material like your leg, it just jiggles it back and
forth like a jig saw and you scream and pull the saw back before it
cuts. I haven't really looked hard, but I didn't find anybody who sells
them to private folks anymore.

If you find a source with quantity on hand, I definitely think you should
write the promo material for it. It sounds much better than contrived
horror
movies, which bore me.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Tools/BoneSaw/bonesaw.html

I was thinking something more along the lines of "Tired of trying to fit
bodies into the trunks of compact cars before taking them to the Jersey
swamps?"

Can't beat good old American iron for fitting the whole family into the
trunk.