DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suggested power tools to buy for beginner (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179872-suggested-power-tools-buy-beginner.html)

JimmyD October 20th 06 04:50 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
what a good "base" set of tools would be. I have about $500 to spend. I
already have a good collection of screwdrivers, hammers, levels, etc. I
was thinking about the following items:

Hammer Drill with decent power (19 amps)
Compound miter saw (10 in)
Circular saw (7 3/4)
Air Nailers and compressor

Any subtractions or additions suggested would be appreciated. I was
thinking a jig saw might be better than the circular saw.

Home Depot currently has 3 air nailers and a 6 gallon compressor/tank
for $300. The nailers are finishing, brad, and crown. Would those
nailers be ok for light work, like building a dog house or
sheetrocking, or would I need a framing nailer for that? Also, would
the 6 gallon tank be enough to power the framing nailer?

Thanks alot for your time.
Jim

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 06:08 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"JimmyD" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hammer drill? They're mostly used for drilling masonry. Unless you have a
specific project in mind which requires that tool, it'll collect dust. You
should have a normal drill, either corded or cordless. I rarely have a need
for a cordless, so I bought a reasonably powerful corded model from Sears,
which has been trouble free for about 7 years now.

Nailers? I wouldn't spend that money just to have it around for a dog house.
And, for sheetrock, you use screws, which brings you back to the drill,
above, although cordless will be handier for this kind of work.

Circular saw: Useful sometimes, although lately, I've been having big sheets
of plywood cut to size at the store.

Miter saw: Those are fun.

dpb October 20th 06 06:31 PM

JimmyD wrote:
[...]

For those kinds of project, you don't need a nailer at all--sheetrock
_should_ be hung w/ sheetrock screws for which you need a decent
cordless drill/driver. Even w/ nailing it you don't use a pneumatic
nailer. This is one of the most useful homeowner tools, but I wouldn't
make it _too_ big/heavy/cumbersome. Hammer drill option ok, but really
is a special-purpose option for things like masonry-drilling so unless
you foresee that in the near future, is probably a waste of initial
investment. I'm partial to the Milwaukee 19.2V jobbie I have, but for
some purposes it's pretty awkward. Would certainly not recommend
anything heavier as an initial purchase for general use.

Circular saw is good, jigsaw is less so in general, but if need inside
cuts or curved cuts is invaluable. Personally wouldn't take the jigsaw
first over the circular saw, though, they're two different purpose
tools and, at least for me, the circular saw gets at least 10x the
work.

Miter saw is also a nicety for initial purchase unless intend to do
something like interior trim or similar that has a real need for
it--for small framing jobs it's mostly way overkill.

I'd rather recommend starting w/ the circular saw and cordless drill
and then going from there as you find a real need/purpose/use. You'll
know it when you get there... :)

BTW, if you're thinking of the jigsaw as somehow related to cutting
sheetrock, you don't saw sheetrock at all, you score a face and then
break it...

newsreader October 20th 06 06:37 PM

JimmyD wrote:
[...]

Get a very good cordless driver/drill. Adding the hammer feature is
worth doing IMHO. I like the 18v models by either Makita or Milwaukee. A
nice cordless drill will likely be the tool you use more than any other.

Your second choice would be my second as well. I recently invested in a
Makita LS1221. Very versatile tool, and being 12" allows for cutting a
little bigger stock than a 10". The unit is not really much bigger or
heavier than a 10", worth the upcharge, again IMO.

Like the previous poster, I don't see where your air tools will get that
much use. If I needed to shoot a bunch of nails, I'd probably go with a
Pasload (spelling?) nail gun. No inconvenient air hose to drag around.

How about an electric (corded or not, depending on power requirements)
impact gun. I had a bitch of a time removing the blades from my 60" ZTR
mower. A milwaukee corded impact paid for itself the first time I used
it in terms of ease of use, and elimination of skinned knuckles.

Another thing that's real handy to have is an Amprobe tester. Great for
checking volts, amps, Ohms, etc on multiple things around the home & shop.

My 2cents

Oren October 20th 06 06:50 PM

On 20 Oct 2006 08:50:37 -0700, "JimmyD" wrote:

Any subtractions or additions suggested would be appreciated. I was
thinking a jig saw might be better than the circular saw.

Funny how a jig saw is better for cutting a circle than a circular
saw. Do not buy a left handed monkey wrench.

--
Oren

[email protected] October 20th 06 07:03 PM

JimmyD wrote:
Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
what a good "base" set of tools would be. I have about $500 to spend. I
already have a good collection of screwdrivers, hammers, levels, etc. I
was thinking about the following items:

If you are planning to tear out any old construction in one of your
renovation projects I recommend a Sawzall or similar reciprocating saw.
Useful and very satisfying.

Cam

mike October 20th 06 07:05 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

You'll use a good old regular corded drill more than all the rest of
the items combined. You can use it with wire brush attachments,
abrasive attachements, all types of driver bits, spinning a coat hanger
wire bent into a zig-zag to mix paint.... and, oh yeah...drilling! :)
Pilot holes are good practice just about any time you use a screw.

Eric in North TX October 20th 06 07:12 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Cordless sawzall, before I had it I didn't realize how badly I needed
it. Wit a good selection of blades, it will cut metal, wood, & even
prune trees. Nothing says; you're coming out, no matter what, like a
sawzall.

As to the drill, I bought 2 new ones a year or so ago, first came a
Dewalt 3/8" 2 speed 18volt, nice drill, but I needed 2 so a help would
have one on some jobs. I picked up a Dewalt 1/2" 3 speed 18volt hammer
drill. Frankly the 3/8 gets little use, the 3 speed feature along with
a sturdier feel makes it the first one anyone picks up. Driving screws
is infinitely easier in 1st speed, drilling and mixing paint fall to
speed 2, speed 3 has its uses, I know I've used it, but don't remember
for what.

Edwin Pawlowski October 20th 06 07:37 PM

"JimmyD" wrote in message
I was thinking about the following items:

Hammer Drill with decent power (19 amps)
Compound miter saw (10 in)
Circular saw (7 3/4)
Air Nailers and compressor

Any subtractions or additions suggested would be appreciated. I was
thinking a jig saw might be better than the circular saw.

What projects do you have planned? That would determine what you need.
Some of the saws you list are somewhat interchangeable, but all do one
particular function better.

The miter saw is very good if you plan to do a wood floor, crown molding, or
a lot of framing where cutting to length accurately is required. It is not
good for building a bookcase, closet shelves. Circular was can do the
cutting to length but takes a bit more practice to get square. Same with a
jig saw, but don't waste your money on the cheap ones as they don't cut
accurately and are a PITA to handle.

Drills are a subject that can be debated for a long time. I have a
Panasonic 15.6 volt that has a lot of power, yet is reasonably light and
small to handle. Small is good for using as a power screw driver. Heavy is
good for drilling into masonry. Corded tools are good in that they are less
expensive and batteries don't go dead. If you plant to use it more as a
driver, consider a 12V, but it you have 100 anchors to put in concrete, get
an 18V or 24V. I've never found the need to buy a hammer drill.

Small compressor is always handy to have. If I had to choose one nailer, I'd
get the finish nailer. Brands are good for taking stuff, same with staples.
None are good for sheetrock.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 07:49 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

The miter saw is very good if you plan to do a wood floor, crown molding,
or a lot of framing where cutting to length accurately is required.

I'll add this: If he foresees molding work being a rarity, there's nothing
wrong with a good mitre box and saw.

There's something funny about the way wives view tool purchases. Because so
many comedians have focused on our love for power tools, many women see a
non-power tool purchase as almost invisible, which can make it a lot easier
to buy yet another tool just a week later.

JASNYC October 20th 06 07:51 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

All good advice. I'd get a good jigsaw, for sure. (The new Bosh will set
you back, but it's really versatile.)

Forget the air nailer for now.

Get a good circular saw, which can be fitted with a variety of blades for
different purposes.

The miter saw is useful if you have to do a bunch of trim or flooring.

All of that said, however: If you're going to build anything from scratch
(like furniture), make a serious hobby out of woodworking, and have some
space, most woodworkers will tell you that a table saw is the one tool to
have. It can do miters and crosscuts like a miter saw, rips much better
than a circular saw, and even joinery using a thick dado blade, or a
home-made tenoning jig. It seems like a luxury (even a low-level
"contractor" saw can do the job, but it might cost $300).

Good luck.

Goedjn October 20th 06 08:13 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

On 20 Oct 2006 08:50:37 -0700, "JimmyD" wrote:

Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
what a good "base" set of tools would be. I have about $500 to spend. I
already have a good collection of screwdrivers, hammers, levels, etc. I
was thinking about the following items:

Hammer Drill with decent power (19 amps)
Compound miter saw (10 in)
Circular saw (7 3/4)
Air Nailers and compressor

Any subtractions or additions suggested would be appreciated. I was
thinking a jig saw might be better than the circular saw.

Depending on the scale of your home improvements, I might
start with a sawsall or similar reciprocating saw before
either a circular or jigsaw. It will be more versitile,
but will also require a little more effort and thought
to keep it under control.

Joseph Meehan October 20th 06 08:52 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Don't buy anything until you need it. Then buy the best you can afford.
You are not going to get good quality for everything on your list in your
budget, but if you spread it out, you may be about to get some really good
tools and then add to those over the years as projects require them.
Sometimes it is far better to rent a really good tool than to buy a
"homeowner's" special that will not perform properly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

z October 20th 06 08:55 PM

Eric in North TX wrote:
Cordless sawzall, before I had it I didn't realize how badly I needed
it. Wit a good selection of blades, it will cut metal, wood, & even
prune trees. Nothing says; you're coming out, no matter what, like a
sawzall.

Now that you mention it.... how do they do on metal chain link fence
posts? I got one of those dumb situations where somebody planted a
little tree next to the fence long ago, and now I've got a giant oak
with a fence post sticking out of the side of it. Looks mighty stupid,
I've been wondering whether a sawzall would remove it. Either that or a
cutting torch......

z October 20th 06 08:59 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

But ripping down the length of a plank, let alone a 2X4? With a
handsaw? Or a sabre saw? No way. Gimme circular, even if I do cut my
leg off.

Goedjn October 20th 06 09:07 PM

On 20 Oct 2006 12:59:34 -0700, "z" wrote:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

But ripping down the length of a plank, let alone a 2X4? With a
handsaw? Or a sabre saw? No way. Gimme circular, even if I do cut my
leg off.

If you don't need both sides of the plank, you'd be amazed
how fast you can get the waste off with a handsaw and
a hatchet.

GoHabsGo October 20th 06 09:11 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"z" wrote in news:1161374374.783304.97550
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 09:15 PM

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On 20 Oct 2006 12:59:34 -0700, "z" wrote:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

But ripping down the length of a plank, let alone a 2X4? With a
handsaw? Or a sabre saw? No way. Gimme circular, even if I do cut my
leg off.

If you don't need both sides of the plank, you'd be amazed
how fast you can get the waste off with a handsaw and
a hatchet.

Hatchet? To use as a wedge so the saw doesn't bind?

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 09:15 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
. 244.170...
"z" wrote in news:1161374374.783304.97550
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

I don't know about those, but Snap-On makes a bitchin' ratcheting
screwdriver. Amazing tool.

Oren October 20th 06 09:36 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:52:23 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Don't buy anything until you need it. Then buy the best you can afford.
You are not going to get good quality for everything on your list in your
budget, but if you spread it out, you may be about to get some really good
tools and then add to those over the years as projects require them.

Very good reasons to look at yard sales. I'm looking for an ole beater
5/8" drill. Don't need a new one, slightly abused is okay.
--
Oren

Oren October 20th 06 09:59 PM

:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

In a recent thread with links came up....
--
Oren

Goedjn October 20th 06 10:01 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:15:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Oct 2006 12:59:34 -0700, "z" wrote:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

But ripping down the length of a plank, let alone a 2X4? With a
handsaw? Or a sabre saw? No way. Gimme circular, even if I do cut my
leg off.

If you don't need both sides of the plank, you'd be amazed
how fast you can get the waste off with a handsaw and
a hatchet.

Hatchet? To use as a wedge so the saw doesn't bind?

Nope, you do a bunch of right-angle cuts on the waste
side, and then chop all the waste wood off with the
axe. It's like using a chisel. If the grain
in the plank is reasonably straight, you can chop off
foot long chunks at a time.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 10:11 PM

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:15:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You're talking about a 2x4 here? I've gotta think about this! 2x4s are cheap
enough that it might be worth getting one just to try this trick. If I screw
it up, there's always the fireplace.

John Grabowski October 20th 06 10:11 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

I agree with Joseph. Don't buy any tools in anticipation of needing them
down the road. Buy what's needed when you are ready to do a project. You
can look around now to see the best prices and different brands and models
and maybe keep a wish list. Tools can cost a pretty penny and are worth it
to get a job done, but not to collect dust.

. ..

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 06 10:18 PM

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I agree with Joseph. Don't buy any tools in anticipation of needing them
down the road. Buy what's needed when you are ready to do a project. You
can look around now to see the best prices and different brands and models
and maybe keep a wish list. Tools can cost a pretty penny and are worth
it
to get a job done, but not to collect dust.

Besides all those good reasons, it's harder to fit them into the theoretical
budget if your partner doesn't see them as being useful within a short time
after the purchase. On the other hand, if you time things right, anything's
possible.

If you're so rich that there *is* no budget, then never mind.

Lawrence October 20th 06 10:33 PM

JimmyD wrote:
Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
what a good "base" set of tools would be. I have about $500 to spend. I
already have a good collection of screwdrivers, hammers, levels, etc. I
was thinking about the following items:

Hammer Drill with decent power (19 amps)
Compound miter saw (10 in)
Circular saw (7 3/4)
Air Nailers and compressor

My advise is to buy one or two tools at a time as your projects
actually require. Buy the best tools you can afford. I think the
first tool anyone should buy would be a corded drill. The cordless
ones are fun to use and popular however. the hammer feature is nice to
have but only if you have a project which requires it.

Any subtractions or additions suggested would be appreciated. I was
thinking a jig saw might be better than the circular saw.

A cirular saw is a must for sure. A jig saw is a close behind however.
If you get a good one (bosch) then it will make many of the same cuts
as a circular saw, believe it. My bosch has no problem plowing through
2 inch lumber. The circular saw is one of the more dangerous tool
there is and many have lost fingers to that tool. the jigsaw is far
less dangerous and though you can hurt yourself you are unlikely to
lose any fingers to one.

Home Depot currently has 3 air nailers and a 6 gallon compressor/tank
for $300. The nailers are finishing, brad, and crown. Would those
nailers be ok for light work, like building a dog house or
sheetrocking, or would I need a framing nailer for that? Also, would
the 6 gallon tank be enough to power the framing nailer?

Nailers are cool especially on big jobs. a lot of times a hammer will
be good enough. A lot of folk use strictly screws which go along with
the drill. If you need a nailer you will know it but beware of low
cost units from the Despot. Nailers don't use a lot of air.

October 21st 06 12:12 AM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyD wrote:
Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
what a good "base" set of tools would be. I have about $500 to spend. I
already have a good collection of screwdrivers, hammers, levels, etc. I
was thinking about the following items:

If you are planning to tear out any old construction in one of your
renovation projects I recommend a Sawzall or similar reciprocating saw.
Useful and very satisfying.

Amen to that! Amazing how well 45 year old doug fir holds 16d nails- much
easier just to take that closet stub wall trapping the furnace and water
heater out in 3-foot sections. Burns just as well.

aem sends...

Mike Dobony October 21st 06 02:30 AM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyD wrote:
[...]

My f-i-l nearly died when I took a hammer to a piece of drywall for his
house!!!!!!!!

OP: don't buy anything until you have a need for it and then do research on
the item needed. Start saving and then buy quality tools as you have a
genuine need for them. Of all the specific tools listed, the circular saw
is the one I use most. I have a hammer drill, but rarely use the hammer
feature (once on removing a stubborn screw). Before I got it (a cordless) I
had a few occasions where the hammer feature would have been useful.

Mike D.

Mike Dobony October 21st 06 02:37 AM

"JimmyD" wrote in message
[...]

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!! My son has a very cheap (Harbor Freight) sliding compound
miter saw. It is EXCELLENT for straight, square (in both directions) cuts
necessary for good fitting corners in shelves and bookcases. It would be
foolish to use anything else other than a radial arm saw to make the
precision cuts necessary on shelves and bookcases!

Mike D.

JoeSpareBedroom October 21st 06 03:41 AM

"JimmyD" wrote in message
[...]

Mike, that's known as luck. Next time HF needs a batch of those, they may
use a totally different Chinese factory and the result might be a piece of
junk.

Al Bundy October 21st 06 04:52 AM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"JimmyD" wrote in news:1161359437.323045.108830
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I don't own a compressor...yet. I eyed this one up (Porter Cable). The
pancake itself seemed pretty good. I don't know anything about nailers
but to me what they called brads and finish nails were just about the
same. The gauge was a tad bigger on one vs the other, but not much.

As far as the crown stapler, it had a 1" max. That means you can't use it
on any 3/4" wood.

Just my observations. Any additional feedback more than welcome.

Al Bundy October 21st 06 04:58 AM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

"z" wrote in news:1161374155.681752.11330
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Eric in North TX wrote:
Cordless sawzall, before I had it I didn't realize how badly I needed
it. Wit a good selection of blades, it will cut metal, wood, & even
prune trees. Nothing says; you're coming out, no matter what, like a
sawzall.

Now that you mention it.... how do they do on metal chain link fence
posts? I got one of those dumb situations where somebody planted a
little tree next to the fence long ago, and now I've got a giant oak
with a fence post sticking out of the side of it. Looks mighty stupid,
I've been wondering whether a sawzall would remove it. Either that or a
cutting torch......

I've cut iron pipe, a 55gal drum and a one of those clothes dryer posts
with one. Works great on tree roots you come across while digging too.

Father Haskell October 21st 06 05:32 AM

Mike Dobony wrote:

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!! My son has a very cheap (Harbor Freight) sliding compound
miter saw. It is EXCELLENT for straight, square (in both directions) cuts
necessary for good fitting corners in shelves and bookcases. It would be
foolish to use anything else other than a radial arm saw to make the
precision cuts necessary on shelves and bookcases!

That's if you don't have a table saw, in which case, a crosscut sled
made from $2.00 worth of labor and materials will cut dead square and
leave your stock with clean, tearout-free edges.

Toller October 21st 06 05:35 AM

"JimmyD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me.

I haven't read the other replies. Has anyone mentioned that is really
depends on what you want them for?

JoeSpareBedroom October 21st 06 02:04 PM

"Toller" wrote in message

"JimmyD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm new to home improvement and am looking to buy several power
tools to assist me.

I haven't read the other replies. Has anyone mentioned that is really
depends on what you want them for?

That is an insane idea. :-)

JimmyD October 21st 06 04:19 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Wow...quite the outpouring of knowledge. I didn't expect so many
projects I have upcoming are sheet rocking a framed room and putting up
molding/baseboards. I guess I was thinking as long as I'm going to buy
some tools for that, I should try and get a good set of power tools
that are commonly used in home repair. Which is also why I was thinking
the hammer drill. I figured as long as I was buying a drill, I might as
well get one that has the hammer function as well. I'm also interested
in trying some other projects like building a dog house (since my dog's
not picky and if I do a crappy job he won't care) and building a wooden
garbage can holder. So I was entering it with that train of thought. So
after reading all the posts, I'm going to follow the majority of the
advice and buy mainly what I'll need for what I have upcoming and go
from there. That means the miter (for the crown molding) and a good
drill. I think that should do it for now. I was pretty set on buying
the nailers, so I'm glad I asked about them since most people think I
should skip them, for now anyways. So that's $300 I can spend somewhere
else. I'm a single guy and my girlfriend has a desire for me to be more
"handy" so I have that going for me.

Thanks again.

Jim

JoeSpareBedroom October 21st 06 06:20 PM

Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Use a hammer and nails for the baseboard. Pre-drill first, and test hole
size vs nails on a piece of scrap. It's pretty relaxing work, and a power
nailer really won't save you much time, compared to all the measuring and
cutting.

oups.com...

z October 23rd 06 04:28 PM

GoHabsGo wrote:
"z" wrote in news:1161374374.783304.97550
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Gotta say, I can live without a power screwdriver. If I didn't have an
electric drill, 90% of the drilling I do I could do with my ancient
Stanley Yankee push drill; in fact at least 50% of the drilling I do I
actually do with it. (why don't they make them anymore?)

I've been looking for one of these to replace my antique one. These are
the cats ass of hand tools! Anyone know where to get one?

I've found two sources, generally speaking: Ebay, and online antique
tool sellers. You can guess which one is more affordable. I got one of
the older kind with the knurled steel body, not plastic, to replace my
ancient (plastic) one where I somehow bent the shaft of the thing so it
binds, dammit.

The Stanley company isn't far from here. Maybe if I go picket.....

z October 23rd 06 04:33 PM

Lawrence wrote:
A cirular saw is a must for sure. A jig saw is a close behind however.
If you get a good one (bosch) then it will make many of the same cuts
as a circular saw, believe it. My bosch has no problem plowing through
2 inch lumber. The circular saw is one of the more dangerous tool
there is and many have lost fingers to that tool. the jigsaw is far
less dangerous and though you can hurt yourself you are unlikely to
lose any fingers to one.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay back when, pre-internet, somebody was selling surgical
saws ("bone saws" I think?) to handymen types. You've probably seen
these on the medical shows and/or horror movies, a 6 inch or so
circular blade on the end of a shaft with a motor housing at the other
end. The key is the little gearbox you can notice between the shaft and
the blade, which makes the blade reciprocate instead of spin. So it
cuts through solid material like bone or wood like a whiz, but when it
hits not so solid material like your leg, it just jiggles it back and
forth like a jig saw and you scream and pull the saw back before it
cuts. I haven't really looked hard, but I didn't find anybody who sells
them to private folks anymore.