Posted to alt.home.repair

Default deck ledger flashing to vertical siding

Looking for some help with proper flashing of a deck ledger board.
Siding construction consists of vertical smooth panels mounted directly
to wall studs with no intermediate sheathing. I have found several good
examples of flashing techniques that involve siding-over-sheathing
construction, but none that demonstrate how to properly attach and
flash the ledger board over the single layer vertical panels.

I could adapt a solution from the several very good diagrams I have
seen, but as this is a replacement project that was made necessary due
to wet and rotted rim joist behind the old ledger board, which was
mounted to the rim joist through the siding with no flashing. I am
nervous about getting it right and would appreciate any helpful ideas
that anyone might be willing to share.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Looking for some help with proper flashing of a deck ledger board.
Siding construction consists of vertical smooth panels mounted directly
to wall studs with no intermediate sheathing. I have found several good
examples of flashing techniques that involve siding-over-sheathing
construction, but none that demonstrate how to properly attach and
flash the ledger board over the single layer vertical panels.

I could adapt a solution from the several very good diagrams I have
seen, but as this is a replacement project that was made necessary due
to wet and rotted rim joist behind the old ledger board, which was
mounted to the rim joist through the siding with no flashing. I am
nervous about getting it right and would appreciate any helpful ideas
that anyone might be willing to share.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

I guess you have to pry the siding out and slip the flashing up under
the siding. Go as high as is practical, since any buildup of water would
get right into the wall cavity. Maybe a nice 12 inch piece of copper 9
1/2 inches up the studs, over the ledger and down an inch. One piece, no
seams. don't nail the siding in the bottom 6 inches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Looking for some help with proper flashing of a deck ledger board.
Siding construction consists of vertical smooth panels mounted directly
to wall studs with no intermediate sheathing. I have found several good
examples of flashing techniques that involve siding-over-sheathing
construction, but none that demonstrate how to properly attach and
flash the ledger board over the single layer vertical panels.

I could adapt a solution from the several very good diagrams I have
seen, but as this is a replacement project that was made necessary due
to wet and rotted rim joist behind the old ledger board, which was
mounted to the rim joist through the siding with no flashing. I am
nervous about getting it right and would appreciate any helpful ideas
that anyone might be willing to share.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

Thkere really is no good option other than correct installation.That
calls for the flashing to extend up the wall _under_ the siding. If
that cannot be done then you are stuck with "rednecking" it with
liberal use of caulking, etc.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, Harry.

I agree that the only option is a correct installation. I just can't
see how to do it without sheathing behind the siding. So, what would be
the technique to flash it if mounted over the siding? Cut a kerf across
the siding above the ledger and insert the flashing behind the siding
and over the ledger?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

That would be my approach. The flashing isn't going to be supported
between the studs but it shouldn't really be a problem. Use a fairly
thick gauge of flashing if you have a choice.

Harry K