Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on brand of caulk? Mine has failed twice.

I am in the process of re-doing two bathrooms. I needed to quickly get
at least one shower working so I installed an acrylic tub and a tub
surround. I caulked the thing once using ployseamseal tub & tile
caulk, but it failed. I figured I hadn't given the caulk enough time
to cure, so I took everything apart, cleand everything with bleach and
alcohol. Then I put it all back together, re-caluked, let cure for 48
hours, and it's failing again. There is six people in my family so I
am now thinking that that many showers in the morning is killing the
caulk job. Any recommendations on better brands of caulk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am in the process of re-doing two bathrooms. I needed to quickly get
at least one shower working so I installed an acrylic tub and a tub
surround. I caulked the thing once using ployseamseal tub & tile
caulk, but it failed. I figured I hadn't given the caulk enough time
to cure, so I took everything apart, cleand everything with bleach and
alcohol. Then I put it all back together, re-caluked, let cure for 48
hours, and it's failing again. There is six people in my family so I
am now thinking that that many showers in the morning is killing the
caulk job. Any recommendations on better brands of caulk?

I'm not a big fan of Polyseamseal, particularly in wet areas. Silicone
caulk is my preferred beast at the tub/tile joint and for tub
surrounds. I do use latex caulk when I need color-matched caulk, but
in my experience Polyseamseal hardens over time and loses its
elasticity (it fails). BobK doesn't seem to have had the same
expereinces with it.

Latex caulk is easier to apply (a bit), easier to clean up, and is
affected more by water during its curing period. Some people use too
much water when smoothing latex caulk during application. It's also
possible that you have too deep of a caulk joint. The caulk should be
designed to move in one direction only, and there should be backing rod
and/or bond breaker tape used to control depth and adhesion to the
correct surfaces.

If you want the most tenacious caulk and can settle for a more limited
palette of colors, polyurethane would be a good choice - anything by 3M
or Sikaflex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
[...]

All of my experience w/PolySeamSeal has been in SoCal so maybe it's a
environmental condition thing

even when stuff gets wet out here it generally doesn't stay wet for
long

I would agree about the urethane suggestion if you don't want to make
the jump to silicone.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

We use polyseamseal here in Arizona all the time in our home repair business
as well as our own home and have very good luck with it. 48 hours should be
plenty for dry time.

cm

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of re-doing two bathrooms. I needed to quickly get
at least one shower working so I installed an acrylic tub and a tub
surround. I caulked the thing once using ployseamseal tub & tile
caulk, but it failed. I figured I hadn't given the caulk enough time
to cure, so I took everything apart, cleand everything with bleach and
alcohol. Then I put it all back together, re-caluked, let cure for 48
hours, and it's failing again. There is six people in my family so I
am now thinking that that many showers in the morning is killing the
caulk job. Any recommendations on better brands of caulk?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Just a thought- there is no movement of the unit when people step in
it, right? Install is secure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, everything is rock solid and stable. I did however use a lot of
caulk :-( I don't normally, but it failed so poorly the last time I
went with the more is better route. I laid a thick bead down, then
slid the panels in place over it. Then swipe the bead via a wet and
soapy finger. Everything is brand new so mold is not a problem, but I
did clean away old caulk with a razor, then scrubbed with bleach and
then alcohol. I was wondering if grout would bind to the plastic....
Also, I thought this polyseamseal was silicone....?

Sev wrote:
Just a thought- there is no movement of the unit when people step in
it, right? Install is secure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you get them to take a bath instead of a shower for the next week
while it cures?
Is it a fiberglass or cast iron tub?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the area is not perfectly clean it can fail, bleach should be used to
kill any spores, after scrubbing use a razor blade to get it clean.
Silicone caulk is best but check the expiration date, old caulk never
works well

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience is that Dap is crap, and Dow is wow.

Just one man's experience, Dap Acrylic Latex caulk is garbage. GE or
Dow works better for me.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
.. .

I have had good results with DAP.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard to fill tub with cold water while caulking (and for the two
days of drying time). This stretches the tub DOWN as best it's gonna
go. When it's empty it comes up, which compresses the caulk. Whic is
OK.

No idea if this works or helps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can you get them to take a bath instead of a shower for the next week
while it cures?
Is it a fiberglass or cast iron tub?

Posted to alt.home.repair

After a day or two I notice that if I touch the caulk there is white
residue on my finger, which leads me to think it's not dry. Then when
I take a damp rag to wipe off the ledge, some strings of caulk come off
and float down the edge of the tub. It's not completely gone, but
some weep holes are devloping etc... I tore apart the whol tub and
surround, cleaned everything with bleach fantastic, then wipe down with
alcohol, dried, and re-caulked. Same difference. I was thinking
about tearing it back out and using the silicone that they use for fish
tanks. I don't know what else to do. I never had a problem with caulk
before. Same brand from two different stores so I assume that the
batches are different.

.

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
.. .

I have had good results with DAP.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This site may answer some questions for you.........

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infcau.shtm

Good luck with this :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , cayoung61-
(Stormin Mormon) says...
My experience is that Dap is crap, and Dow is wow.

Just one man's experience, Dap Acrylic Latex caulk is garbage. GE or
Dow works better for me.

Acrylic latex would really be the wrong thing to use around a tub. Tub
and Tile Adhesive Caulk would be my choice. I have had very good luck
with the DAP product.