Posted to alt.home.repair
ron ron is offline

Default Replacing Formica Kitchen Counter Top

The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?
I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "ron" wrote:
The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?

Formica! ;-)

Seriously, there's no reason you can't put a new layer
of formica over the old. Just scratch the old surface
with a course sandpaper and thoroughly clean and degrease
to ensure the new formica and adhesive will have a good
bond.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

ron wrote:
The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?
I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

If you're interested in tiling, there is a thinset available that can
be applied directly to formica without any scarifying necessary. You
could put a nice granite coutertop on for about $4.50 / sq. ft. I'm
thinking about doing my formica coutertops like this.

BRW