DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing Formica Kitchen Counter Top (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/179617-replacing-formica-kitchen-counter-top.html)

ron October 17th 06 07:18 PM

Replacing Formica Kitchen Counter Top

The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?
I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Malcolm Hoar October 17th 06 07:39 PM

In article . com, "ron" wrote:
The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?

Formica! ;-)

Seriously, there's no reason you can't put a new layer
of formica over the old. Just scratch the old surface
with a course sandpaper and thoroughly clean and degrease
to ensure the new formica and adhesive will have a good
bond.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

[email protected] October 17th 06 08:57 PM

ron wrote:
The previous owners of this house put hot pans directly on the Formica
kitchen counter resulting in burn spots all over the place. I don't
want a complete kitchen remodel, just to replace the counter top.
Is there a product that can just be put over the entire damaged counter
TOP ONLY without ripping the whole thing apart and installing a new
complete counter?
I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

If you're interested in tiling, there is a thinset available that can
be applied directly to formica without any scarifying necessary. You
could put a nice granite coutertop on for about $4.50 / sq. ft. I'm
thinking about doing my formica coutertops like this.

BRW