Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default recycling tv's etc.

Baltimore County just started accepting, at one of its solid waste
facilities, tv's, computer monitors, vcr's, and some other electronic
things.

How much recycling is actually done to these things and how important
is it to recycle them?

They always mention lead first as a dangerous substance in tv's and
monitors, but it seems to me, all the lead is in the front panel of
the CRT, and it can't escape to poison the earth. Even if the glass
is broken, only a little surface is exposed, and I'm not sure if even
the lead along that surface can escape.

As to the rest, do they clip out the transistors to recycle the
germanium? How much recycling do they really do? I was told by a
recycler that no one will pay for the stuff, and the counties have to
pay them to come and get it. If it were really recycled, wouldn't it
be worth something?

(The radio didn't say one way or the other if they would now refuse to
pick up such things curbside, as they have been doing.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

recycling tv's etc. mm Electronics Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM
Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
recycling old keys mogga UK diy 17 November 30th 04 09:21 AM
Strange recycling people shinypenny Home Ownership 15 December 8th 03 11:38 PM
Recycling - how do others cope? mich UK diy 83 November 18th 03 09:54 AM