Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which compound miter saw?

I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Things change so what I did might not be the answer today, I went to
Lowe's or Home depot and played with the displays until any weakness I
could spot was revealed. Some of them would flex over 1/4" if you
pushed sideways on the handle, not a formula for accuracy. I settled on
the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter with matching stand. I think I
have about $700 in it, shop around compare prices, especially the
Internet, try Amazon, and even Ebay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:38:21 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

Steve

I have a Dewalt 12" compound miter (DW608?) that I have been happy
with. A newer model - DW718 would be a nice choice. You can cut larger
material at 45 and 90 degree (cabinets) (cost $679.00)

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=9793

Just this week I mounted the saw on a Rigid table. It stores easily
and sets up in a couple of steps. I love the table (cost $200.00)

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/AC9940-MSUV/

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

I would buy a Makita because I have had good luck with them. My local
hardware store is a certified repair facility also. Hitachi, Bosch,
Delta, and DeWalt are other brands that people respect. I like the 12
inch size and these start at about $200.00 and go up over $600.00.

As far as value, that is in the eye of the beholder. A good value to
me means a brand with good reputation that can be conveniently
repaired. what does it mean to yu? There are cheaper saws out there
if that's what you want. A cheap one might be OK for you just search
for the lowest price.

Here's a real cheap one that the amazon.com posters thought was a good
value:
http://www.amazon.com/GMC-AMS814LS-4...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Steve B wrote:
I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

Steve

Take advantage of the amazon.com catalog for example, and look over the
many models offered. For low cost also check out harborfeight.com. And
of course there are sure to be many others that will be informative.
In general, you will find a 12" non sliding compound saw quite useful.
If you intend to use it for a lot of years, then a 10" sliding compound
saw, at more $$ will work even better. If you turn pro then consider a
double bevel sliding compound 12" saw which can cut large lumber with
right or left angles.
From personal expeience, I have used a Bosch 12" non slider for a few

years and it has been a great tool. Part of the reason for the
performance has to be a very good saw blade, so crown moldings come out
really well. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote

As far as value, that is in the eye of the beholder. A good value to
me means a brand with good reputation that can be conveniently
repaired. what does it mean to yu? There are cheaper saws out there
if that's what you want. A cheap one might be OK for you just search
for the lowest price.

Lawrence

I always overbuy unless it is a basically disposable tool. For good
results, I have found that cheap tools (in the size and type as a compound
miter saw) just don't cut it. Too much sloop, too much drift, soft
metallurgy, etc.

I like professional results, and it gives me a feeling of confidence to use
tools that will do far more than I know how to make them do.

I don't do cheap.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

One of the best is the DeWalt 12". It was $300 when I got mine a few years
ago. If you want more capacity for stair treads, a slider is a better setup
for you. I'd still stick with DeWalt.

If you are going to build a deck and never use it again, I'd get a cheap 10"
and be done with it. If you are going to use it in the future, DeWalt,
Hitachi, Porter Cable, Makita are decent. Get one that feel comfortable
when you pull the handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2006 09:04:22 -0700, "Eric in North TX"
wrote:

pushed sideways on the handle, not a formula for accuracy. I settled on
the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter with matching stand. I think I

I went several years without a stand. I saw the Ridgid Miter Saw
Utility Vehicle TM (AC9940) with wheels. The saw is mounted with bolts
and stows with the table after folding.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

Steve

When I looked last the Bosch 12" sliding compound was pretty nice with
all up front controls and adjustments and a handle that was adjustable
to put it at a normal angle no matter the compound you had set. I didn't
actually get it so I can't say anything conclusive on it. I did get the
Bosch contractor table saw in the same (4000?) series and have been very
happy with it for my uses.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones
are the best values?

Steve

There are many good choices. I have a 12" DeWalt CMS that has a tall
back fence--nice for cutting large crown molding. Prices depend on
size and type. Bigger is generally better. A 12" CMS will be about
$350. A sliding 12" CMS will be around $600. Quality brands include
Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita. Probably the best value (best bang
for the buck) is the Milwaukee. I'd seriously think about the Bosch.
Here you want to stay away from Chicago and China- or Taiwan-made
machines. If you go with an el-cheapo machine, at least get a Forrest
blade for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote

As far as value, that is in the eye of the beholder. A good value to
me means a brand with good reputation that can be conveniently
repaired. what does it mean to yu? There are cheaper saws out there
if that's what you want. A cheap one might be OK for you just
search for the lowest price.

Lawrence

I always overbuy unless it is a basically disposable tool. For good
results, I have found that cheap tools (in the size and type as a
compound miter saw) just don't cut it. Too much sloop, too much
drift, soft metallurgy, etc.

I like professional results, and it gives me a feeling of confidence
to use tools that will do far more than I know how to make them do.

I don't do cheap.

So you want to "do stair and deck work" and maybe stuff in the future.
That's way different from a couple of odd jobs and then junk the tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

pushed sideways on the handle, not a formula for accuracy. I settled
on the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter with matching stand. I think

I went several years without a stand. I saw the Ridgid Miter Saw
Utility Vehicle TM (AC9940) with wheels. The saw is mounted with bolts
and stows with the table after folding.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

I have a pretty old 10" one I just put on a folding worktable when I use
it. The cord and handle covers are not metal. The rest is cast iron. That
thing needs no bolting and never moves yet I can just pick it up and
store it away someplace compact.

I was at the Borg eye-candy-ing a fancy 12" one. I went to pick it up and
almost threw it over my head. I didn't realize new ones were aluminum (I
guess).