Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a kitchen sink..."Hi-Lo"?

We would like to replace our kitchen sink( standard double bowl" with
another with the over set type with one large bowl and one small bowl for
the disposer.
I have heard the called "hi-Lo's but wonder if there is a more common name.
Considering stainless or perhaps one of the granite composites.
Any links to online outlets for such?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article avcYg.4124$gM1.2268@fed1read12, "Ubin" wrote:
We would like to replace our kitchen sink( standard double bowl" with
another with the over set type with one large bowl and one small bowl for
the disposer.
I have heard the called "hi-Lo's but wonder if there is a more common name.
Considering stainless or perhaps one of the granite composites.

Lots.

I recently installed a Kohler 3351. Available from
numerous outlets although this was the best price
I was able to find:

http://www.homecenter.com/product_details.
asp?sid=1&propList=productID,
&productID=Kohler%203351-NA&GTSE=&GTKW=&GCID=&origSearch=3351NA

This specific model is for undermount but I think
Kohler make a self-rimming equivalent too.

You could start at www.kohler.com to select a model
and then hunt down the best price.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ubin" writes:

We would like to replace our kitchen sink( standard double bowl" with
another with the over set type with one large bowl and one small bowl for
the disposer.
I have heard the called "hi-Lo's but wonder if there is a more common name.
Considering stainless or perhaps one of the granite composites.
Any links to online outlets for such?

High/low is the most common I see, but you'll miss options searching
for just that. Just look for double bowl sinks and you'll find a lot
of variations.

Now, I used to have a symetric double bowl sink, and thought the idea
of one huge bowl and a smaller bowl with the disposer would be great.

That was until I bought a house with such an arrangement. I didn't
care for it.

The large sink was so damned big I felt guilty and impatient filling
it with water. The small bowl was too small to put any dishes in,
and... here's the thing, I want my disposer under a bowl where I'm
washin crap off the dishes. If the bowl's too small, what's the
point--I was always having to clean the cruft out of the big bowl
where I did all thework and had to install a strainer, etc.

I'm back to symmetric double bowl now, and owing to waste pipe height
in my conversion to undermount sinks, I have even forgone the
disposer.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

The manufacturers all have websites with info. A google search will
find online places to buy them, there is also Ebay, though I think a
sink is an item where it's going to be much better to just buy it
locally.

As for going with the type with one big bowl and a small disposal bowl,
I had this type and replaced it a year ago. IMO, this is the most
useless type of sink there is. They are predicated on the idea that
you will use the small bowl to scrap of food from dishes, prior to
washing them in the other bowl. I just scape mine into the garbage
can and put it in the dishwasher which is right there. And most of
the stuff I want to send down the disposal comes from food prep work,
which I do over the large bowl, so that's where I want the disposal.
For example, if I'm rinsing off, peeling, vegs, I do it over the large
bowl, then send the scraps right down.

My strong sink preference is 2 deep bowls, one large, one about 2/3.
Take a look at the Kohler Marsala. This gives you one big bowl that
you can fit even most large pot/pans, and a second bowl that is big
enough as a functional second one. It's very convenient to have that
second clean sink there when you suddenly need it during some cooking
operation. The Marsala also has very deep bowls, which make a big
diff. Now when I use the spray head, there is much less blowback.
And the drains are located in the rear corners of the bowls, giving you
more availabe fuctional bowl space. Also, it's set up as a single
faucet model, with the faucet going in the back area behind the center
divider. This frees up what would normally be used for sill area in
the back where faucets would be, allowing both bowls to go back another
3", giving you more bowl room.

If I wasn;t getting the above, I'd go with either a double bowl or one
large bowl.