Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much Base Material for Stone Walkway

All -

I'm looking for a method of calculating how much stone dust I need to buy
for my project. I can do the math, I just need to know something like, "1
Yard of stone dust will compress to X Cubic feet of compressed stone in your
project."

Thanks

Ratdoggy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to be sure I understand your information, you're telling me that one
ton of Crushed Stone will yield 100 Sq FT of Compressed Base 2" thick?

This is suspiciously like the "one yard of mulch will cover 100 Sq Ft @ 2"
thick" thumbrule I get from my local garden center.

"Newsreader" wrote in message
. ..
1 ton covers 100 sq ft @ 2" deep
HTH

"El Penguini" wrote in message
All -

I'm looking for a method of calculating how much stone dust I need to buy
for my project. I can do the math, I just need to know something like,
"1 Yard of stone dust will compress to X Cubic feet of compressed stone
in your project."

Thanks

Ratdoggy

Posted to alt.home.repair

El Penguini wrote:
All -

I'm looking for a method of calculating how much stone dust I need to buy
for my project. I can do the math, I just need to know something like, "1
Yard of stone dust will compress to X Cubic feet of compressed stone in your
project."

The thickness of the base, and how you are compacting it (hand tamper,
plate compactor?), has a lot to do with how much it will compact.
Generally I figure about 1/4" to 1/2" for every 2" of base.

Running short is usually a far bigger problem than figuring out what to
do with some leftover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

El Penguini wrote:
Just to be sure I understand your information, you're telling me that one
ton of Crushed Stone will yield 100 Sq FT of Compressed Base 2" thick?

Correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I plan to tamp with a rental plate compactor every two inches until I get to
four inches of compacted base. I agree with your thoughts on material, but
i have about 3/4 yard of 3/4" stone sitting in my driveway because I over
estimated. I don't want to add to my pile of shame!

Thanks for the information.

El Penguini (the Italian Penguin lover of international reputation)

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...