Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag washer cold water inlet

I replaced the hot&cold water connections on our washing machine.
Afterward the cold water inlet stopped working. The new tube seems OK
because it will dump water into a bucket. The hot water tube seems OK.

So, it seems that the inlet valve in the washer is not operating. I'm
having trouble with the coincidence of replacing the cold water tube
with either a failed valve or a timer/programmer malfunction. Can
someone put me back on the right track? I feel like I'm missing
something obvious. TIA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Stubby :
I replaced the hot&cold water connections on our washing machine.
Afterward the cold water inlet stopped working. The new tube seems OK
because it will dump water into a bucket. The hot water tube seems OK.

So, it seems that the inlet valve in the washer is not operating. I'm
having trouble with the coincidence of replacing the cold water tube
with either a failed valve or a timer/programmer malfunction. Can
someone put me back on the right track? I feel like I'm missing
something obvious. TIA.

Chances are that the inlet screen on the cold side has crudded up
from debris stirred up when you replaced what you did.

Ours tended to if I did any work on the plumbing near the pressure
tank/pump.

Take the cold water hose off the washer, and check out the valve
inlet. There'll probably be screen there. You can often pop them
out to clean them.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say the "new tube seems ok".
Did you replace the hot and cold water fixture? Or supply line? The use of
the word "tube" makes me think you replaced the hoses. If there is a kink
they can cut off, like grabbing a garden hose and squeezing can do.

I would do as Chris suggests and check for debris. Whenever you change
water things, even small pieces of rust and grit can wreck havoc with the
fittings. Bleed the line, check the screen (if there is one), make sure
when you push the equipment back into place that the hose isn't smashed
between the washer and wall, constricting the flow of water.

It is usually something simple that we are just over looking..., the water
is turned on? Machine is plugged in, etc... Just checking. One day I spent
a rough hour. Turning things on, off, screwing on hoses, sliding machinery
around and at some point the water was turned off and I just spaced and
felt like a dweeb when I realized that there was no water because I had
not turned it on! Good luck.

_______

KaCe
Posted to alt.home.repair

glassartist wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The one thing I haven't checked is blockage in the cold water
valve itself. Getting at the back of the washer is hard, but I'll have
to do it. I'm hoping I find the screen clogged because everything else
is expensive!